Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Tools for Load Testing Windows Forms DB App

This seems like a really simple problem, but I can't seem to find a good answer.

We're building a Windows Forms database application and we'd like to crank some large datasets into our SQL Server database so we can see if the system pukes when it gets its hands on some "real" data. Using a Web service to provide the data was too slow, so we're using a direct connection to the database through the SQL data provider.

I'd like to find a tool that allows me to populate the database with a certain number of rows, including child rows, so we can perform this load testing.  The tool should stuff data into all of the columns so we can get a feel for how the system handles "meaty" data.

I really don't want to spend a couple of days writing custom scripts or my own app to do it if someone has already solved this problem (and it certainly seems like someone would have!)

It seems like everything I come across is designed to test Web applications or Web services--where are the tools to test a "traditional" client/server DB app!?

Thanks in advance for feedback.

Dave
Saturday, March 15, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home