Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Is FogBuz really required ?

I just happened to see and use a  simple bug tracking software Bugtrack 1.3 from http://www.pacsoftware.com.au/ . The download and install is quite simple as its a simple desktop app with no heavy db or web interface. For a small shop of just 2 developers I think its great for its price(its free).

Anybody's got any experience with it ? I mean long term issues. Are there similar better alternatives ?

Sunish
Saturday, March 15, 2003

MS-Excel is fine for many projects as well.  An MS-Access database built in 20 mins (One table, one screen, and a few reports) is also more than enough for many projects.

Bella
Saturday, March 15, 2003

You can have a reasonably good UI and all the features mentioned even with less than 20 minutes, just a matter of download.

sunish
Saturday, March 15, 2003

This is a "how long is a piece of string" question.

Step by step:

1) Is a tracking tool need at all?

I think the balance of opinion here is yes.

2) So just use excel (or similar)?

Well you if it works in your context that's fine but what if it doesn't...

Which bring us to the answer (more or less) in that its not so much a question of whether FogBugz is really required as whether the cost incurred to acquire the particular set of facilities and features provided by fogbugz represents good value (to you and your organisation).

Personally I think that technically and philosophically FogBugz is excellent and that it is good value for money (ask a) how long would it take one to provide an adequate home-brewed solution, and then b) multiply that by your hourly rate...).

Naturally it won't be a good fit for everyone, nor will all users want to use all the features which brings us back to the value question.

murph
Sunday, March 16, 2003

I had te same questions as Sunish. So decided to test FogBUGZ - you can get a free 45 day trial account, just visit http://try.fogbugz.com/ .

Of course you can use Excel (or whatever tabular data storing and presentation tool you prefer).

But then you will suddenly have to do your daily work AND develop, tweak, update, etc. a new utility. The time you save by using a home brewed bug tracking tool might well end up being used on maintaining your bug tracking tool - and time is money.

Martin
Sunday, March 16, 2003

What I really wanted to know is a comparison between bugtracker and fogbuz. I do consider fogbuz as a good product, but am not interested in a web based solution.

Bug tracker does serve my purpose very well as of now. So if there's anyone out here who's got rid of bugtracker for some reason or the other I would like to know that. Thanks once again for your suggestions

Sunish
Monday, March 17, 2003

I'm really interested in _why_ you don't want a web based solution. I don't like most "web applications", but for a bug tracking system I just can't see a better solution (I don't want to enter bugs myself, I prefer that my clients do the bug hunting for me.)

Leonardo Herrera
Monday, March 17, 2003

I don't "need" a web based version as well. Everything is located on a single LAN.

That said, I own FogBugz. Aside from some minor stuff like the ability to see the bugs from home, I also found it much easier to deploy/train/use.

The key feature for me was the easy to use UI and the message board style of tracking changes to the bug report. That and the product support is top notch.

Marc
Monday, March 17, 2003

I don't have a webserver where I can install web apps,Well for the LAN I can have one, but that would not let me track the bug from anywhere else.

Sunish
Monday, March 17, 2003

There is another free tool:  http://www.pb-sys.com 
Company have tool for test tracking. Also free.

drazen
Monday, March 17, 2003

Here's another free one (web/asp.net based)

http://www.ultraapps.com/freebugtrackinganddefecttracking.html

Granted it isn't pretty, but the source is included if 'pretty' is your goal.

GiorgioG
Monday, March 17, 2003

The pb-sys link doesn't seem to work

Sunish
Tuesday, March 18, 2003

There's an extra space at the end of the pb-sys link.  Remove it and you should get there.

Joe Paradise
Tuesday, March 18, 2003

Even if you take the space out, pbsys doesn't have the bug tracker available for download. The link's there, but it's a 404.

Chris Tavares
Tuesday, March 18, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home