Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Laptop OS upgrade (XP home to pro)

I've got a Dell Inspiron 8100 running XP Home Edition and I want to upgrade to XP Pro. I've got a XP Pro cd (gotta love MS Campus Agreements) but I'm wary of making the switch. I'm just worried that something will go horribly awry and I'll have to wipe the drive and start from scratch.  Anyone have any tips or things to note before I bite the bullet and upgrade? Also, I'm assuming that I'll have to reinstall all my software. Is this correct? I know that ME (yuck) didn't require this when upgrading/downgrading (depending on your pov) from 98. Anyone? Thanks for your help.

Tim
Friday, March 14, 2003

I've done exactly what you're considering and it was almost painless. For some reason it reset the start menu so all the shortcuts to all the software I'd installed disappeared. If you make a copy of them you shouldn't have the pain I did reconfiguring them. Aside from that it ran a treat and everything still worked.

John Conners
Friday, March 14, 2003

should not be a problem... i've upgraded home to pro without any issues, not even the shortcuts thingy mentioned.

just curious? why the upgrade? home is fine, it's not like you need multi-processor, multi-monitor support on a laptop rite?

given a choice i'd just stick to win2k sp3... it's really stable and running great. =)

Wei
Friday, March 14, 2003

If your laptop has a CD burner just zip up your favorites and everything in your "My Documents" (or My Music or My Pictures or My Microsoft Bob whaever) folder and burn it.

Li-fan Chen
Friday, March 14, 2003

I am a great fan of SP3, but SP2 has slightly less compatibility for me. I have had some incompatibility problems. On the gaming side I tend to stay with DirectX 8.1 Final.. you'll want to back up these old Service Packs because it gets really hard to find them (time consuming) in Microsoft's huge website.

Li-fan Chen
Friday, March 14, 2003

Oopps.. said it opposite. I meant SP2 is more compatible with the various software I install. Try SP2, and go to SP3 only if you need all of the hot fixes really badly.

Li-fan Chen
Friday, March 14, 2003

Also read these Microsoft KB articles:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];Q312369
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];Q312368
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];Q315341
One of these explains why the Start menu items might disappear during the upgrade if XP Home was pre-installed by the manufacturer.

Philip Dickerson
Friday, March 14, 2003

Regarding why upgrade to XP Professional, for me the biggest reason would be that IIS is only in the Professional edition - if you use your system for developing ASP or ASP.NET applications/sites/pages it's really useful to have a local IIS on your system.

Other significant features that are only in XP Professional that may be of interest are (some of which are mentioned in earlier replies): multi-processor support, multi-monitor, multi-language, Windows domain networking, encrypting file system, remote desktop.

Philip Dickerson
Friday, March 14, 2003

Check out the "File and Settings Transfer Wizard" in Accessories/System Tools too -- works rather well.

Duncan Smart
Friday, March 14, 2003

It's much better if you are prepared to rebuild your system from scratch at any moment, anyway.

So make sure you have backups and all of the installers for any software you want and just stop worying about it.

flamebait sr.
Friday, March 14, 2003

I did the XP Home to XP Pro upgrade on my brother's new Dell 8200 laptop.  I had originally intended to reformat and do a clean install, but decided to go with the upgrade process that popped up when I stuck the CD in, just for kicks.  It worked great, and left all the programs in perfect working order, as well as the Start menu intact.

I have a friend with XP Home who I helped install IIS 5 on his computer from some Windows 2000 MSDN cds.  It's not supported, but can be done.  Search Google Groups for instructions.  It works for some things, but ASP.NET doesn't play well with it, so I'm considering doing the XP Pro upgrade route, but am afraid that with the nonstandard IIS install, it might hose it.  I seriously doubt anyone here has gone this route, but on the off chance someone has, does it work?

ODN
Friday, March 14, 2003

>>multi-processor, multi-monitor support on a laptop rite?

Actually, multi-monitor in *any* computer can boost your efficiency by 100%, since you then have 100% more screen to work with. 

Let me tell you a little story.  I worked for a guy that /insisted/ that everyone in the office used dual screen.  At the time I was a ferocious youth and argued with him terribly about everything.  Eventually though, I came around and now I insist on it in my office.

Even when I go on site to a client's location, if there's an extra monitor around, I use it.  You can just *see* everything that much better. 

Furthermore, Windows XP Pro handles dual monitor better than all versions of Windows.

Wayne
Friday, March 14, 2003

Thanks for the replies. As to the why? I'm hoping to use my laptop as my test system for learnign ASP.net, sql, etc, and as was mentioned, IIS not available in home. Also, I discovered while working on a Java assignment that it would be nice to be running IIS while not networked so I can avoid IOExceptions when testing apps that look up URLs. Anyways, thanks again for the info.

Tim Miller
Saturday, March 15, 2003

Just a comment: The dialogue/multilogue on this site reflects well upon the users. It is refreshing to read scholarly and professional analyses delivered in a polite manner free of course language.

Technical quality is high also.

Now for the meat.
We use Inspiron 8200s for engineering and drafting work. Three of us travel quite a bit and each will have advanced port replicators (APRs) at two or three locations. We now have one 8200 and two APRs, purchased before the 8500 was put on the market. The 8200 APR is not compatible with the 8500. We  plan to buy additional 8200s and APRs.
Anybody else been this route?
OJS

Oliver J. Semmes
Monday, August 04, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home