Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Sun focusing on software from now on?

Is Sun realy going this route? I know competing with Intel/HP/Dell is though, but BEA/IBM/Microsoft are no small fry either. Software has never been a strong point with Sun, they are silicon at hart.

From: http://www.baselinemag.com/article2/0,3959,842375,00.asp
"We had a line we used for 15 or 20 years now at Sun—'All the wood behind one arrowhead,'" says John Loiacono, Sun's vice president in charge of operating systems (Solaris and Linux). "That's still the case, but the arrowhead has moved. The arrowhead is Java-based applications in the Sun One environment."

Just me (Sir to you)
Friday, March 14, 2003

Just look what this strategy did for NeXT and Be....

Pat Rice
Friday, March 14, 2003

> Sun focusing on software from now on?
> Is Sun realy going this route?

All IT is down. (HW or SW) Suppose Sun becoming more
a software company, what do you guess will be their
tactical movements?

My guess is a big believer in networking, they might
look at the entire enterprise world and propose something
that will really cut cost for everyone. So they probably
won't jump right into fat pcs, or bleed more on thin pcs (
In the past they have projected over and over again that
corporate spending on Fat PCs will be down. But the projection
is always a little too far too early)--I hope they will
do something completely different.

Sun's competition is the whole f***ing world. It includes
warner brothers, Ben and Jerry's, some remote forest
company in south east asia, or your cousin's pachingo
shop. We all get paid for the same reason: better solutions
at lower cost. I don't see how a vague directive like "Let's
do more software" will help them much without learning
more details. :-)

-- David

Li-fan Chen
Friday, March 14, 2003

In more that 5 years of existance, Sun has not succeeded in turning Java into money. I don't see how they can do that now especially if they are becoming weaker and weaker.

XRD
Friday, March 14, 2003

Wouldn't plan on them getting out of hardware anytime soon.

pb
Friday, March 14, 2003

"Just look what this strategy did for NeXT"

Pat, I bought a brand new computer running Mach and NextStep (now called Mach and Cocoa) a few months back and I love it. I paid a hefty price for it too and it was worth every cent. Stable and fast! Best computer I've ever owned or developed for by a huge margin. No comparison. So whatever NeXT did, they seem to have done it right, even the name change.

"All IT is down. (HW or SW)"

David,

Today Adobe announced that they made unexpectedly large profits. I wasn't surprised as I contributed a grand of that to get my new NeXT computer stoked out wit hthe latest. Apparently I'm not the only one either. Other people are willing to pay a lat more for stability, speed and ease of use too. Of course there will always be a place for $500 cheap junk computers (PCs) by people who aren't particular if their computer is unstable and slow, but likewise there will always be a market for $4000 high end computers (NeXT) that do everything the right way.

Dennis Atkins
Friday, March 14, 2003

I hate to think of it, but they will probably be stretched between their no-revenue hardware and no-margin Java business models like a prisoner in a medieval rack.

Disgusting, isn't it?

Marcos
Friday, March 14, 2003

I gotta admit, when I was in college with my dinky 486 Blue-lightening from IBM, I felt bad that the rich coders in the next dorm had a NeXT cube or two. How do you compare the GUI of twm/fvwm of Linux or the simple Program Manager of Windows for Workgroup 3.11 with the NeXT look? Back in the days, I like the little title bars that look like you can actually grab them showing up in Photoshop 5.0 in the fancy imaging labs. And BeOS look like it was some embedded OS stolen from the tank Tank Girl used.

Li-fan Chen
Friday, March 14, 2003

---"Of course there will always be a place for $500 cheap junk computers (PCs) by people who aren't particular if their computer is unstable and slow"----

Unless you're a developer or gamer then a $500 machine is plenty fast enough. I work with a 733Mhz home desktop, a 1.6Ghz laptop, and a 2.0Ghz work desktop, and 99.5% of the time do not notice any difference.

As for stability Linux, W2000 and to a lesser extent Win XP are all rock solid. In fact if you inherit a $50 machine you can use W98SE and it will be pretty reliable.

Make sure the motherboard comes from one of the big names and you get the almost the same reliability from a $500 machine than from a $5000 one.

Stephen Jones
Friday, March 14, 2003

> $50 machine you can use W98SE and it will
be pretty reliable.
What?????

Okay.. maybe let's quanlify that statement
by saying "assuming you are managing
thousands of these W98SE boxes with a fully
staff team

Li-fan Chen
Friday, March 14, 2003

You just watch what you say Li-Fan.  I've got a Windows 98 box at work that's been doing it's job for years. Never crashed never needed any attention.

Of course it's job has been 'holding a door open' for the past few years but hey.

Robert Moir
Friday, March 14, 2003

LOL

Li-fan Chen
Friday, March 14, 2003

Sorry LiFan but W98SE was a considerable improvement on previous versions. I ran it on a laptop for three and a half years and it never crashed, which is more than I can say for XP, which seems to love random rebootings followed by send a message to MS dialog boxes.

There are plenty of  Pentium I's still around doing a perfectly good job of wiriting documents, searching the web and getting email.  They can't be woirth much more than $50 now but if they do everything you want why upgrade?

Stephen Jones
Sunday, March 16, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home