Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

WYSIWYG content management tools?

Besides CityDesk and Domino/Notes (and Exchange, Groupwise), do you know of WYSIWYG tools that would also support disconnected mode, ie. laptop users can access data while on the road, and sync up when they're back online?

I really like CityDesk, but it's only 1.0, and besides, it doesn't yet offer support for disconnected mode. I also like the simplicity of open-source tools like PhpGroupware et al., but a web browser just doesn't cut it.

And I gave up on UserLand's Radio (several script errors when checking out release 8.x, proprietary scripting language, ported from Macintosh, not WYSIWYG, etc.)

Thx

Frederic Faure
Friday, February 01, 2002

Why is "ported from the Macintosh" a reason not to use a piece of software?

Platform Neutral
Friday, February 01, 2002

It's not a reason by itself, but the Mac and Windows interfaces are different enough that it's not sufficient simply to reproduce the identical UI when porting to a different platform. Mac users expect certain behaviors, as do Windows users.

Microsoft learned this lesson with Microsoft Office, and formed a separate group to handle Mac Office.

I haven't tried Radio so I can't say how good a job they did doing the port.

Malcolm
Saturday, February 02, 2002

It just that it show that Radio was not originally written for Windows. Some buttons look funny :-)

Otherwise, I agree that it shouldn't be a problem, but I'm concerned that a product is primarily written for another platform.

In any case, I think CityDesk is closer to what a personal site content management tool should be: WYSIWYG, with an obvious, simple layout. I like seeing all my files in the tree, and just double-click on one document to edit it. Radio is just too complicated for most people; Besides, it tries to do too many things (web server, data can be accessed through either its web server or the dedicated client; Radio can both receive data through RSS and send a blog either locally or remotely through FTP/XML-RPC; sophisticated scripting language, etc.)

My ¥.2
Fred.

Frederic Faure
Saturday, February 02, 2002

Radio is browser-based, FYI.

Dave Winer
Sunday, February 03, 2002

Why not publish the site as normal using Citydesk for the web, then keep the laptop users synchronised using Source Control Software.

If you used Relisoft's Code Co-Op you could even keep them synchronised by email.

Ged Byrne
Monday, February 04, 2002

To Dave: I know it's also browser-based, and it wasn't meant as criticism, but it also ships with a dedicated client, which is a bit strange at first. I was also puzzled by the fact that the File menu lets the user edit .OPML file. That in addition to the .root files make for a lot of entries

To Ged: I know that we can come up with some kind of version-control with VSS et al., but I think CD is closer to what everyone's been waiting for: A nice, WYSIWYG dedicated client (so users can use something that looks like a wordprocessor, and all documents are formated the same way thanks to templates), and keep a local copy and sync with a server.

In other words: something easier to deploy and less proprietary than Notes. I'm still looking....

Frederic Faure
Monday, February 04, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home