Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Why move to C## ?

After making a case for writing code in VB with C++ programmers why would you move to C##?  Is it as productive as you consider VB to be, and why?

Colin Newell
Friday, February 01, 2002

C-double-sharp? Isn't that "D"?

A.
Saturday, February 02, 2002

The era of marketin gimmick languages is over.  Don't bother to learn it.  Learn what is already out there, that can build your application.   

SSSSS
Sunday, February 03, 2002

"Learn what is already out there, that can build your application"

Like... uhmm... c#

-
Sunday, February 03, 2002

If you believe building business software with beta tools is sane, you really are 'out there'!

DB
Monday, February 04, 2002

It's not beta any more, you know.

Mike Gunderloy

Whatever - it's not 'out there'.

I'd love to see the business benefit analysis for anyone deciding to use it right now.

DB

If...
You've got people with mostly C++/Java experience.
AND
You want to build a Windows app, or a web app that runs on a Windows server.

Odds are, C# is going to work very well for you.

Dave Rothgery

If I were going to start somebody off in coding, then the most important thing would be that the environment they would use is extremely interactive.

That was the big strength of those old basics - you could sit down, type something, and it would DO it - right then an there! No "create a makefile", "compile", or "run the debugger" steps.

I personally would lean towards Python for precisely this reason - the Python interactive shell is fantastic for just playing and experimenting.

Chris Tavares

Why move to C#?  To get a job as a sharp dressed janitor - that's my conclusion.

Out of curiousity, I did C# job searches several months ago on a number of the job sites (Dice, Monster, et al.) just to gauge the demand.  I found that many of them either would not allow the "#" character in searches or took it as a wildcard character.  So I tried "c-sharp", and the only listing that came up was one for a janitorial position that required applicants to dress "sharp".  So, there you have it.

Although I stay out of the MS bash-fests, I do think it's ironic that Microsoft is basing part of it's web development platform on a language that you can't reliably do a web search on.  Even Microsoft's own Knowledge Base draws a "no matches found."

What's Microsoft going to call their next language, "*.com"?

Nick Hebb
Tuesday, February 05, 2002

Remember "if you want to do buzzword programming, you must use a strongly hyped language"? Here's is an article seemingly intended as a self-realising prophecy: http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20011101.html.

Andrzej Kocon

Joel - you need to change your script so that final periods won't be included in the URL. (I mean, Outlook and even Word can do this. :)

A.

"." is a valid directory descriptor and is a perfectly valid ending charachter for a filename on every unix box I've ever used. Why shouldn't Joel allow it?

Alex Russell

Try and click Andrzej's link . . .  then you'll find out.

A.

While it's perfectly valid, I can't name a single URL that ends in a period. The 99.99% of cases where including the period will mangle the URL are far more important than the 0.01% of cases where it's supposed to be there.

I think there's a section about this sort of thing in "User Interface Design for Programmers", but I can't quite be bothered to look it up. :)

Charles Miller

This question certainly has evoked some devastating wit.  What's the matter guys, no Slashdot articles on Microsoft today, wherein to show off to all your buddies your stinging anti-Micro$oft repartee?

How about: "C#?  Isn't that the note you're going to be screaming when your toy operating system gives you the fifth BSOD for the day?"  Score: 5, Funny

Donavon Keithley
Sunday, February 10, 2002

Period isn't the only character which may "brake" the legal URL - there are '?', ',', '!' and others ..
I'm sure it's easier to put spaces around URL then trying to figure out whether it's last characters actually belong to it ..

Evgeny Goldin
Sunday, February 10, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home