Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Interesting Groove News

I've seen people post here about Groove Networks, I laid down my $99 for Groove after reading about it here, so I figure maybe people here will find this interesting:

Software Pioneer Quits Board of Groove:
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/11/business/11PRIV.html?pagewanted=print&position=top

Quoting the article: "Mitchell D. Kapor, a personal computer industry software pioneer and a civil liberties activist, has resigned from the board of Groove Networks after learning that the company's software was being used by the Pentagon as part of its development of a domestic surveillance system."

It's not as ominous as it sounded when I first read it.  In fact, it mostly reads as if the Government is using Groove as it was intended, collaborative works.

Andrew Burton
Tuesday, March 11, 2003

Also on http://www.f---edcompany.com/ - about half way down the page (at least right now):

"Rumor has it Groove Networks just laid off around 55 people. Coincidently, word is today, after the layoffs, the CEO told the remaining kool-aid drinkers that they had just finalized a $33 million dollor round of funding to assist their grandiose burn rate. The funding came from Microsoft, Intel, and Accel Partners. Not so shabby, but still..."

RocketJeff
Tuesday, March 11, 2003

But does Groove give the government a back to groove?

In Notes, they (Ozzie and friends) solved the encryption key export problem by exporting the full length encryption and giving the US govt the delta of the two key lengths so they could hack the foreign keys as fast as if they were the shorter length.  The encryption keys were effectivley the longer length for everyone except the US govt.

Has Groove given anyone access to any portion of the encryption keys?

Class?.....anyone?......Ray?

not a groove user
Tuesday, March 11, 2003

that's back 'door' to Groove.

not a groove user
Tuesday, March 11, 2003

Dear Mr. Kapor,

this might come as a surprise to you but the Pentagon is also welcoming some of the OSS you are now going to devote your time to, so might we assume you will be focussing your time on bulding in special triggers to "disarm" software systems when they run for military purposes?

All kidding aside, these moral issues are a personal matter and as such should not be treated lightly I guess, but unless there is something very special about what is happening at Groove switching from contributing to general purpose software platform development A to eneral purpose software platform development B does not seem to be a very major difference in the light of things.

Just me (Sir to you)
Wednesday, March 12, 2003

I bet Microsoft will buy Groove in a not so far future.

Enjoy
Wednesday, March 12, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home