Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Project Management Certification

I was looking at the various Project Management Certifications which are currently present.

Came across PMI, Prince-2. Do any of you guys have such a certification? (Please, Lets not stray from the topic! )

Which of these certifications is more recognised?

Thanks,

Prakash S
Tuesday, March 11, 2003

I've never met a program nor project mamager w/certification.  I don't think you should mess with it.  The title project manager ususally goes with the marketing side of the house, and that usually means MBA when certificates are required.  I'd stick with that, if you're looking for schooling.  I've known plenty of people who got their MBA while working as an engineer, contrary to what may be the prevailing attitude on this board, they said that the course work was challenging and rewarding.

FWIW,

Nat Ersoz
Tuesday, March 11, 2003

I don't know about certification per say but I know Merck & Co. follow the guidelines of the PMI namely PEMBOK closely for their engineering work. A lot of other pharm companies follow these guidelines closely as well.

Typically the PMI ideals are taken in and then flavored up into internal guidelines and best practices for the specific group. I would guess that a PMI certification is not much different then an MCSE certification is for a help desk person, makes sure there is a base level of knowledge. I know the certification alone would mean nothing for Project Managers at Merck since they basically cull their project managers from great engineering schools and then follow up with 7 or more years of trainging.

I would think that applying the ideals of the PMI to software projects is an interesting idea. PEMBOK is a rather well refined document and I think that the ACM is either in the process or has allready completed some work for Software Engineering including a BOK for them. (I know they were supposed to have finished a Software Engineering curriculum last summer and have started to shop it around to colleges.)

Jeff
Tuesday, March 11, 2003

Thanks Nat, Jeff.

Prakash S
Tuesday, March 11, 2003

Is PMBOK of PMI and PEMBOK are same?

Yaniv
Tuesday, March 11, 2003

Yes it is. Not sure why my mind put that extra E in there... probably has to do with the managers all being engineers there. Sorry about that.

Jeff
Wednesday, March 12, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home