Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

C++ Project

I have a strong JAva background and I am interested in learning C++.

Can any one suggest what kind of software projects are done using C++  ?? May be some descriptions on a couple of sample projects.

Can we do graphics using C++  ?? Say, swing in Java.

Thanks,

novice
Thursday, January 31, 2002

C++ is a general purpose language, so you can do just about anything with it.  My experience has been using it for satellite ground control systems.

C++ has no inherent graphics capabilities.  You select appropriate libraries.  There are libraries such as Qt and X Window system for user interaction or OpenGL for 3D graphics rendering, depending which you're interested in.

Gary Chatters

Get Bjarne Stroustrap's book, "C++ Programming Language."

Just like Java, the language doesn't support gui stuff (<grin>).

Unlike Java, the standard library doesn't support gui work (e.g. no swing, awt).

GUI work in C++ will be platform dependant. (e.g. MOTIF for X/Window systems, MFC for M$ stuff).

Good luck!

Joel A.

Just recently, someone recommended the book "Thinking in C++" by Bruce Eckel. You may find also the free HTML version of the book at http://www.mindview.net/Books/TICPP/ThinkingInCPP2e.html
I have read also other books related to C++, OOP...  The above mentioned book is really explaining the things.  Unlike many other books, this one is readable from start to the end -- like a novel.  You will enjoy it if you are a C++ beginner or the expert.
The book explains also why C++ is good for big projects where languages like VB would fail.
My summary is: If you expect your project to be big (say over 20 or 50k lines) than you will not regret the C++ choice.  If you want to make your project long-lasting, the C++ is the good choice (compare it with transition from VB to VB.net where even Microsoft says that everything must be rewriten -- this will not happen with C++).

Petr Prikryl
Thursday, February 14, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home