Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

New Office Wiring

[we need three times as many power outlets as anyone would think. I'm sick of power strips. I have ten things plugged in right at my desk. I specified 4 outlets every foot, is that absurd? ]

Not at all. One of my many hats I wore before programming was as an electrician/journeyman and most of the commercial buildings we worked on would specify such requirements. Most of them were either bio-tech firms or trading firms. I would suggest you look into using raised floors if you want to run a ton of wiring, most of the trading floors we did used just that. Although it's more expensive it is worth it if you run a lot of wires to the center of your rooms. If you don't need your wires going to the center of a room then I don't think the cost would be worth it and you'd be better off just using wire strips to cover the few you have with adequate wire ducting/piping in the walls.

So basically what I'm saying is you probably could contact a good local electrician and accomplish what you want, fitting out the location you have chosen.

trollbooth
Friday, March 07, 2003

Right now I have 10 electrical devices plugged in spanning 2 power-bars and I predict I will need more power-pars in the future.

Heston Holtmann
Friday, March 07, 2003

It is hard to have too many outlets.  I managed installation of a computer room several years ago.  We didn't ask for that many outlets, but did need quite a few.  In the computer rooms many of the outlets were under the raised floor.

In addition to number of outlets, you need to think about how they will be allocated to circuits and the current capacity of each circuit.  Also, try to get the outlets labeled with circuit ID so you don't overload one.

In the computer room we also needed large capacity 20 amp and 30 amp outlets for the VAXes.  But there isn't much need for those with standard desk PCs or even workstations.

mackinac
Friday, March 07, 2003

Sounds like a helluva lotta fun - designing your new digs.  :)

Nat Ersoz
Friday, March 07, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home