Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Microsoft's future plans

Hi guys,

Have any of you read the following article:

http://www.aaxnet.com/editor/edit029.html

It paints a rather frightening vision of Microsoft's upcoming business strategy.

I am neither technical enough or well versed enough with what's happening in the industry to judge the credibility of the article.  I'd be very interested in other people's opinions.

Please take the time to read the rather long article, before you just post, "oh, it's just another Microsoft bashing site".  It seems rather better researched than that.

Cheers,
Sherlock

sherlock_yoda
Friday, March 07, 2003

You can read other people's opions a few threads below this one, 'MS road ahead' or something like it

Andres
Friday, March 07, 2003

Oh, it's just another Microsoft bashing site, and not a very clever one at that.

Just me (Sir to you)
Friday, March 07, 2003

Just because someone uses a lot of words and links to a lot of speculation in the press, that doesn't make them well researched.

Rob Moir
Friday, March 07, 2003

Sherlock,

This guy is about as unbiased about Microsoft as the US President is about Iraq. Well, Bush might be a bit more open minded.... Need I say more? :)

Marc
Friday, March 07, 2003

That guy compiled tens of articles I read during these last months in some kind of "specialized" IT press. And as any good citizen, he believes that all what is written in magzines and newspapers is true. So why blaming him?
1 hour reading his article was just another 1 hour lost in my life. By the way, I feel the same each time I read ZD publications (be sure, I receive them for free :) )

JRay
Friday, March 07, 2003

The guys a Linux programmer so he's no more going to be advertising the opposition than GMC are going to be seen saying nice things about Honda.

His article gives a reasonable summary of the state of IT for  those who haven't been keeping up with the press, which is where he takes all his articles from.

He's certainly correct about the mess MS has got itself into with VB and .NET

Where he goes wrong with Longhorn is that he actually believes Microsoft which is where the info is coming from.

And to be fair to him he does state that the plans for Appplication Servers are not likely to get off the ground.

The discussion on the issue is in another thread further down.

Stephen Jones
Friday, March 07, 2003

One thing to note, he isn't a Linux guy. He is an O/S2 guy. And if you love O/S2, then being bitter is par for the course.

Marc
Friday, March 07, 2003

He seems to have given up on OS/2 now if you look at what he says about it. It is pretty clear he's touting for Linux business.

Stephen Jones
Friday, March 07, 2003

<quote>
He's certainly correct about the mess MS has got itself into with VB and .NET
</quote>

What mess is this? People can continue to use VB6.

Jeff
Friday, March 07, 2003

The mess with VB is as follows.

VB.NET code is not compatible with VB6. Moreover not only is the IDE very different but the diffferences between the languages are not trivial; as a result you are basically having to learn a new language, with the added problem that it is still close enough to VB6 to cause negative transference problems.

On the other hand Office still uses VBA, which is VB6, and there is no plan to port it over to .NET until 2005 qat least.

So you are now faced with either writing code in a lnguage that has reached the end of the line, or in a new language whose take up is more than doubtful.

And if you are new to programming you have to decide whether you are going to learn VBA/VB6 or VB.NET.

Also the route into programming tens of thousands have taken through Excel or Access to macros to VBA to VB is now brokent.

Stephen Jones
Saturday, March 08, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home