Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

My name is Jonah.

I finsihed reading "The Goal" by Eliyahu M. Goldratt. Joel mentions this book here: (http://www.joelonsoftware.com/oldnews/pages/November2002.html)

Do you have any stories regarding how some one has helped you out like Jonah does in this book. Is there any way of identifying such people (I am sure all of us would like a little bit of help sometimes).

Prakash S
Thursday, March 06, 2003

I haven't read the book, but I usually tend to happy music when I am down ...

My name is Jonas, by Weezer springs to mind

tapiwa
Thursday, March 06, 2003

I used to work with this guy named Marty who was like Jonah in a lot of ways.  He was about 65 yrs old at the time, he had two PhDs (physics and economics), and the man's range of experience was startling.  He also looked like Captain Ahab or something, so sometimes our interactions would be a little comical.  Aside from all the information he had cataloged away, though, the one thing that makes me think of him when Jonah gets mentioned is that he used to question my assumptions mercilessly.  He was a good guy to work with.

Marty's Pal
Thursday, March 06, 2003

Isn't the idea to become your own Jonah? I'm trying by reading everything I can about Theory of Constraints (TOC). The intent is that once you learn the thinking processes, you don't need a Jonah.  Of course, learning more effective ways of thinking from books is much harder than having a real-life Jonah, but I haven't met any, yet. At least none that I recognized as such, which could be my limitation.

How many people have encountered Jonah's?

DavidG
Thursday, March 06, 2003

Yeah, I am a big weezer fan.

-------------------------------------

The idea is to be a Jonah, but I guess you need to find one before you can become one.

Prakash S
Thursday, March 06, 2003

Actually, I believe the idea is that a Jonah's prime "purpose", if you will, is to help you become a Jonah both to yourself, and to others.

Part of being such a Jonah is making assumptions explicit and challenging/questioning them, and thinking things through logically and all the way out (you don't just say "nah, won't work").

I'm getting another book in TOC Thinking Processes, too. Can't wait for it to arrive :D

Brian Hall
Friday, March 07, 2003

I am halfway through It's not luck - this stuff is a lot clearer now.

Prakash S
Friday, March 07, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home