Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

convert j2ee application into a web service?

'how to convert a j2ee application into a web service? Are there any process/paradigm/methodology available?'

pls reply !

sancha
Wednesday, March 05, 2003

So far, the best tool that I've used for exposing Java interfaces via Web Services is GLUE, by The Mind Electric http://themindelectric.com/ .

Its as easy as Registry.publish("myWebService", myWebServiceInstance);

Enjoy

Tal Rotbart
Wednesday, March 05, 2003

Anything is "theoretically" possible, although it depends what you mean by a J2EE application (J2EE is not just EJBs).

GLUE, Apache SOAP (and platforms built on top of it - eg. IBM and Oracle) allow you to turn a stateless session bean into a web service pretty simply. If your J2EE application is an EJB application that exposes session facades then it should be pretty easy to turn that into a web services application.

I'd second the recommendation for GLUE, although I believe that you need to buy the professional release (standard is free) to allow you to expose EJBs via a web services interface. I've been using Oracle SOAP (essentially Apache SOAP) recently and it's not really that painful (just stay away from JDeveloper/JBuilder), so if you want a cheap alternative head over to http://ws.apache.org/

Walter Rumsby
Thursday, March 06, 2003

Sorry "free" alternative.

Walter Rumsby
Thursday, March 06, 2003

I'm currently using Apache Axis to expose an EJB as a Web Service and one thing you should consider is the purpose of the Web Service versus the API you have available for exposure.

Existing APIs in your application are not often suited as a Web Service.  Things like State and object representations can overly complicate what should be a simple service.

Don Forth
Thursday, March 06, 2003

thanx a lot.

Could u pls list the process involved in that case, my application involves a simple client-business-server-side logic.

i think what mind-electric provides is nt technically a web service, since it appears more static!

wht the present jwsdk does is to build a web service from scratch, but i m looking for something which can allow me to change a j2ee application into a web service(inthe lines of soap,wsdl,uddi)? hope u understand.

sancha
Saturday, March 08, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home