Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Oldest Computer Magazine You Have

In the same vein of old tech books, I am curious what the oldest computer magazine you currently own. I have a Byte from 1983 on my shelf. I like taking it down from time to time to see how far we have come. I know I will never throw that one away. I know I have some older Bytes, but I could not find them.

DB
Wednesday, March 05, 2003

I've got Issue 1 of "Crash" - seminal Sinclair Spectrum magazine, dated February 1984 - hiding somewhere in my parent's attic.

Better than being unemployed...

Issue 1 of Computer and Video Games - full of stuff about soldering irons and space invaders

timob

And a Creative Computing annual from about '75.
Full of printouts of Mr Spock drawn with a line printer.

timob

The oldest magazine I can shake out of some closet would be COMPUTE! magazine from around late 1985 or early 1986.

Patrik

Practical Computing - 1981 I kept it because it has some really awful code in it that I wrote!

Sadly I didn't keep all my old copies of Byte, in the early days it was fantastic especially Circuit Cellar and Jerry Pournelle.

Tony E

Playboy, 1961.

Hugh

Popular Electronics, January 1975, with the front cover that featured the Altair 8800 computer kit.

Bored Bystander

Abacus Quarterly, 1560 BC

Feature stories...

1. Pharaoh Gates comments on the latest 68-bead abacus from Nile Business Machines, "Nobody will ever need to count higher than 640K".

2. Pyramid schemes; too crazy to be true?

3. New paint software from Ra Services. Only 40 Shekels, with a royalty free library of 400 full-colour heiroglyphics!

Shrinky

>> New paint software from Ra Services. Only 40 Shekels

Obviously this stuff came through the Stargate from offworld.

G'ould

Datamation, September 1982, which by no coincidence is their 25th anniversary issue, and so is a retrospective going back to 1957.  The lead off article is a profile of John V. Atanasoff, "creator of the automatic digital computer."

RH

I have several "ZX" issues dated '82 and '83. "ZX" was a spanish magazine devoted to the Zilog Z80 microporcessor and Sincalir machines.

The first Sinclair machines (ZX80, ZX81) sold reasonably well  in Spain among the hobbyist community and the Sinclair ZX Spectrum was a real boom.

Many spaniards (like myself) were 1st introduced to the computing world with the beloved Speccy, I still have an '84 model perfectly working.

Daniel Tío

I used to collect K-Power in the 1980s. Sadly, I don't think I have them any more..  :~-(

runtime

I used to love computer magazines. A few years ago, I through out all of my old Antic and Analog magazines (for the Atari 400/800) from 82-85. They were great. I used to get some Amiga magazines (Amiga Experience?) too.

And yes, I was a subscriber to Byte as well. May they all rest in peace.

Today's computer mags are pretty weak. CPU is okay (they have GOT to DUMP those columnists though), but I think Maximum PC is the most fun to read from the hobbyist perspective. PC Magazine is still a tiny bit useful if you want to see what's new. Aside from Dvorak though, it's like the flagship of weak.

Tom Fairlie

I have issues of Byte from 1979, I think all the Practical Computing have gone over the years.  I have complete Byte issues for 1980 and 1981, several for 1982.

Simon Lucy
Thursday, March 06, 2003

The "Computer Hobbyist", vol 1 number 1.  No date on that issue, but vol 1 number 2 is December 1974. 

Not really a magazine, just a newsletter of a few pages.  Lead article, a multipart series: Hal Chamberlain, "A Graphical Display for the 8008".

mackinac
Thursday, March 06, 2003

Byte November 1977

Introduces the TRS-80, shows the prototype of the soon to be released disk drive

Article on building the Kompuutar - 6502 based

Ad for 16K of ram only $485 - assembled, tested and burned in

Ad for a paper tape reader that promises to read punched tape "as fast as you can pull it through."  $74.50 Kit or $95.00 assebled and tested.

John
Thursday, March 06, 2003

I'm not sure they're thrown away yet or not.  But I used to have lots of copies of Kilobaud, Byte, and Creative Computing from the '78 to '80 days.  I bet my parents still have them in their basement.  I remember taking long bus trips to get to the computer store to get them, back when I was 14 and 15 years old.

Herbert Sitz
Thursday, March 06, 2003

I remember "Electronics Illustrated" that my dad subscribed to when I was a kid. This was a "harder core" (more technical) and less cosmetic version of Popular Electronics that disappeared by the mid 1970s.

E.I. ran several calculator type projects. One cover project I distinctly recall was from around 1964. It was a desktop 'computer' of sorts which used a rotary phone dial (!) to enter the digits. The display was a row of 'nixie tubes' which are neon filled tubes with a stack of elements each in the shape of a digit. (you see nixie tubes in military instrumentation in cold war era movies sometimes.)

I recall that the project revolved around fabricating and building a series of identical circuit boards based on transistor logic, each of  which represented storage for one digit and the display drivers for the paired tube that displayed the digit.
So, that was a relatively ambitious and crude hobbyist "computer" project, predating the mass market of SSI and TTL integrated circuits.

Bored Bystander
Thursday, March 06, 2003

July, 1974 Communications of the ACM (Association for Computing Machinery).

-Ray G-
Monday, March 10, 2003

orginal issues of K-power, and Enter Magazine.

steven w merrill
Thursday, July 08, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home