Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Good Job advertisements

From this short description I can get a good picture of who they are looking for to do what.
http://radio.weblogs.com/0117167/2003/03/04.html#a163
More informative then a lott of the more "serious" descriptions out there.

Just me (Sir to you)
Wednesday, March 05, 2003

Cool. I especially enjoyed from this one:

Stealth plane are nice.  You give them orders, and they disappear.  When it reappears, it always says “Mission accomplished. I hit the target”, but sometimes it really hit Lichtenstein's embassy.  You are NOT a stealth plane, you are a big, noisy, C130, that we can hear, see, and talk to for the whole project.

Doesn't always work for me, though ..

Evgeny Goldin

"...e-mails, phone calls, carrier <i>pidgins</i>, and smoke signals..."

Too bad they don't have something about proofreading in that big list, huh?

Sun Tan Stan

They are probalby outsourcing and "pidgin" iEnglish is the sub-contractor's lingua franca

Stephen Jones

I wouldn't describe this job posting as "brief."

I love it.  It's descriptive, and it's written in a natural language style that anyone can understand.  That's how all job postings should be written.  Awkward, formal job postings deserve a lackluster response.

Brent P. Newhall

How 'bout The Linux version:
1. Your level of 'smart' will be judged by your contributions.
2. You drag out gdb when necessary, but don't expect to use it.
3. You don't post questions to mail lists without first grepping the source tree.
5. You don't give a shit about Groove.
6. You know how to read and write an RFC, and know what compliance means.  You've written and tested code against standards adopted industry wide (ISO, ITU, ...).
7. "Stupid Human Tricks" with a GUI have little to do with getting the job done.
8. You realize that not every deliverable has a human interface.  Therefore, you don't drag out the window manager when you need a socket handler.
9. You know that given the same functionality, simpler is better.
10. You don't check your share price every 15 minutes.

There, I think that will do...

Nat Ersoz

hilarious!!!!

Prakash S

Isn't #5 sort of contradictory to #4 and #15?

We want you to have lots of exactly this kind of experience.  Oh, and we also want you to be the kind who doesn't like to do the same thing all the time.

David

"7. "Stupid Human Tricks" with a GUI have little to do with getting the job done."

[sigh]
I'd prefer to hire programmers who can grok that while they may be annoying, executives and accountants are the ones that sign the paychecks, and keeping them happy is generally job #1.

They don't have to be able to *do* the politics, but I want them to appreciate the need for them.

Philo

Philip Janus

Did anyone else checkout this web page on a Netscape browser?  Either mine is messed up or they really don't want anyone who doesn't use MS for everything.

z

Netscape 4.7 is just broken.  I spent a couple hours this morning trying to fix something it rendered incorrectly.  Upgrade, is my only suggestion.  (To Mozilla :)

Andrew Hurst

I'm using Netscape 7 and the page came up OK.  I switched to Netscape 7 after trying Mozilla, but it seems to have many of the same bugs and it crashes a lot.

mackinac

"* You can speak like Anthony Robbins, write like Ernest Hemingway, and code like Dennis Ritchie."

I speak like Ernest Hemingway, write like Dennis Ritchie and code like Anthony Robbins. Think I'm a chance for the job?

Andrew Reid

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home