Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

One possible JOS improvement...

Lately I've started a couple threads, and then responded to various posts as people reply. I've tried to keep things on thread, and answer any questions people have.

One thing I've found irritating is that to respond to a thread, you have to move on to a new window, and the comments you are replying to are not visible. I would find it very handy to have the area for entering a response be in a popup window, and have the comment thread be visible.

I find popups as irritating as the next guy, but this seems to be a reasonable circumstance for one. It would certainly make things easier than going back and forth to check previous comments.

Just a thought.

Deep Thinker
Monday, March 03, 2003

That's why I usually open the reply form in a new window.  It even lets me reload the original thread in case I've been typing for a while.  Plus, that way I can cut and paste, which makes Joel so *very* happy... (=

Sam Gray
Monday, March 03, 2003

One wonders whether is an issue for the webapp, or the browser.  Moz & Phoenix work on many platforms, and keeping two windows open in a tab is just a middle-click.  Opera and that Apple browser are probably similar.

Then again, the users here of non-IE browsers total probably 1-2%, so you can't just treat it as a matter of an upgraded browser.

red
Monday, March 03, 2003

And of course, I'm on a stupid UI tangent.  This precise point is actually answered in the mailing.

red
Monday, March 03, 2003

Oops, I just had time to fully read the mailing.  All my posts today can be deleted.

red
Monday, March 03, 2003

You have to admit that Joel is right about one thing -- talking incessently about the design of the forum rather than the topic of the forum is BORING BORING BORING.

Dennis Atkins
Tuesday, March 04, 2003

If you're really hot to cut and paste, open the "reply" in a separate window.  I use IE, but I'm sure all the other browsers allow this.  In IE, just right click, and then select "Open in a new window".  Voila'!  Your original thread is there in the original window, ready for all the referencing you want to do.

Thanks,
    PeterM

Peter Montgomery
Wednesday, March 05, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home