Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Cocoa Developer for Mac

Any cocoa developers in this forum writing in Objective-C.

Some background:
I have worked in Java for 1.5 years on 2 projects. they are like ,u can make the things work just by having java documentation ,not complex enough to explore some specialized topics like multithreading or networking or requiring extensive knowledge of programming.but as a beginner to programming , they helped me in understanding basic concepts. I think ,Java abstracts many things like memory management , pointers from the programmer. It won't give enough chance to touch upon lower level things. i want to get some real experience by understanding things at lower level.

Currently ,i am working in Objective-C. 
How do u find Objective-C in comparison with Java. Is it a right language to understand programming at lower level?

cocoa developer
Sunday, March 02, 2003

Objective C stands somewhere between Java and C++. If you are using it for UI only then its as easy as Java. But you have to learn the Cocoa framework which is a little bit of learning.
I think prev experience in C/C++ is more of an advantage from programming point of view. But overall its better language as you can do lower level programming as well.

R K
Monday, March 03, 2003

*reading all these things said about java*

Is that a fact?

Li-fan Chen
Monday, March 03, 2003

My day job is Java, but I'm twiddling at a Cocoa XML/object modelling tool on my own time (anyone have/want such a thing?).

The nice thing about Objective C is that it is a superset of C with just enough added to make it a good object oriented language.  So for the most part you can ignore low level details, but can also get as low as you want by going straight into C.  Probably the trickiest part is the reference counting memory management system (pretty simple in most cases, but you'll need to learn the edge cases).

Interface Builder, as far as I know, is the greatest GUI programming tool ever invented.

Jim Rankin
Tuesday, March 04, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home