Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

New Forum for New York City

The Delphi forum was a complete ghost town, so I killed it. It has been reborn as the New York City Front Porch. If you're in or around the city feel free to join in.

http://discuss.fogcreek.com/newyork

Joel Spolsky
Friday, February 28, 2003

Joel,

Just a thought, you might want to start a satellite Forum for our friends from UK (quite a few brits in this forum)

What say Ged, Simon ?

Prakash S

I'll give the NY forum a few weeks to settle in, and we'll see if it's possible to attract a critical mass... if that works, I'll be happy to add other cities.

Joel Spolsky

And me Prakash

Neil E
Saturday, March 01, 2003

Well as we're about to leave God's Own County (Worcestershire), and go up t'North West I dunno what city would coincide, probably London but I only go there if I have to.

I wouldn't mind Liverpool :-)

Simon Lucy
Saturday, March 01, 2003

Britian, England and London are the same place, aren't they?

Neil E
Saturday, March 01, 2003

They're all in that great place, Erp

Simon Lucy
Saturday, March 01, 2003

me in London, UK too

tapiwa
Saturday, March 01, 2003

At last a forum in which everyone will understnad the rules of mornington cresent.

John Ridout
Saturday, March 01, 2003

I think it is strange to recreate a virtual third place thru geographical criteria.

The excellent thing IMHO on the JOS forum is that it's attract people from all over the world.

Joel, why specially New York ?

Robert Chevallier
Saturday, March 01, 2003

Robert,

http://discuss.fogcreek.com/newyork/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=187

"Why a New York City forum? Well, I thought having a forum just for New Yorkers would allow some of us to get together and meet in real life, which makes the community many times stronger than a purely virtual community."

Prakash S
Saturday, March 01, 2003

Joel,

How does one enter an e-mail address, in order to get into the NY forum?

The Real PC
Saturday, March 01, 2003

Great idea for the New York forum, Joel.

If it works, please consider adding an Austin forum.  That would be really cool.  I suspect there are a lot of us from Austin on the board.

reporting from Hyde Park, Austin
Saturday, March 01, 2003

Also, re : the latest article about "third places" disappearing, in Britain they are alive and well in the shape of pubs.

Last Friday I went out with the team, sans senior management to a local pub and they all vented their frustrations and said what they wanted to. Wouldn't have happened in the office. As a result, I can translate through to constructive suggestions on how to improve the company.

How many JoS readers are in NYC though? I didn't think it would take up a large proportion of readers. Maybe it does because they're local to Fog Creek.

Better than being unemployed...
Monday, March 03, 2003

John,

That all depends on which rules you want to use.  I prefer the 1963 Convention, since it rules out the irritating Morden Gambit.

Ged Byrne
Monday, March 03, 2003

UK forum - definitely.

Are we playing the Turnham Green variation or not?

treefrog
Monday, March 03, 2003

I would guess that aound 1/2 of the current number would form an ideal group size for a board of this kind. Fragmenting into a myraid of little geo-based little communities for "general" discussions will not work. One or two might make it through, all the others would wither away.
I love "real" meetings, but if Miguel is willing to fly in from Kansas each month, who should decide he is "not from the neighbourhood"?
Will we all end up in JoS NYC, and JoS SF in a few months (even us Euro-trash ;-))?

But what would be a good alternative dimension over which to split a group like this? It should be something that is more or less neutral, and with a high degree of random selection. Geography is not a bad choice. It even has this "let's meet up" thing trown in as a freeby.

Interesting stuff.

Just me (Sir to you)
Monday, March 03, 2003

Wow, 3 Mornington Crescent players creeping out of the woodwork.

For those yet to discover:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A490349

Ged Byrne
Monday, March 03, 2003

Good point about pubs. When I was in the Navy, I enjoyed visiting the pubs. They were friendly social places to grab a pint. Here they are
called "bars" and are considered semi-disreputable. Over there the
pubs seemed to be near the homes. You could walk to them. Here
the bars seem to be in commercial areas. You still need to get into your car and drive to them.

I agree 100% with the missing third place issue. That was one of the advantage with the old BBS systems, compared to the Internet: most of the traffic was local, so it was easier to build a community of people who you could actually meet in person. Those BBS parties were quite interesting.

I second the vote for an Austin forum. Is the Fog Creek Forum software available for download?

Chris Nystrom
Monday, March 03, 2003

Hi,

That's an interesting addition.

What about 'India' forum? It's very common to see lot of Indians around on JoS. I was just wondering how many Indians among those are actually residing in India and how many outside India. May be I can start a topic? ;)

Regards,
JD

JD
Tuesday, March 04, 2003

Wot aboot Canada, eh?

Dunno Wair
Tuesday, March 04, 2003

Canader?  TO prolly!  Right?

B#
Tuesday, March 04, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home