Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

why are u doing this joel?

hi,
question: joel talks about the need for making it easier for communities to grow and develop. but the article in question itself requires me to sign up to a mailing list, i almost have a phobia for those, even if it is from a sterilized place like joelonsoftware. the point i'm driving at is, why can't the article, which i really, really wanna read, be posted on the website like the regular ones? will someone please please tell me...
my blog -  http://xanga.com/ubaid

ubaid dhiyan
Friday, February 28, 2003

Joel, I bet you didn't realize that you were creating a chat group for anxious, codependent coders.... LOL

Bored Bystander

ubaid, man, just calm down and sign up for the mailing list. you'll never get spammed, and it is really very easy to remove yourself from the list if you never want to be updated again. joel has many readers who post here - have you ever heard anyone complain about joel sending out incessant and annoying mail?

we've already discussed the whole subscribers-only issue, and there's really no need to keep going since it's joel's material and he can do with it as he pleases. if you're unhappy with it then cancel your account and stop paying your membership fee (haha!).

because it's free so he can do whatever he wants

But... but.. Joel is DOING WHAT HE WANTS TO DO WITH THIS BOARD! That is OUTRAGEOUS!!!!

It became a public trust the nanosecond that someone who isn't with Fog Creek used it to post a message.

Joel OWES us, dammit. He really does. He made our lives revolve around this message board.

It's UNFAIR I tell you! Property rights are being exercized!

:-)

Bored Bystander

LOL!  Excellent post, Bored.

And agreed.  This board -- and all of Joel On Software -- is an experiment.  If Joel can't experiment with things like e-mail notifications, JOS has lost its meaning.

(Now...will this thread be deleted?  Archive now!  This thread may be valuable some day!)

Brent P. Newhall

Hey, I'm all for co-dependency. It makes for the best reading on a slow day when I don't really want to do the crap I need to do...

And I just realized a golden opportunity: 12 step programs for BBS addicts. It's a wide open field.

Bored Bystander

Quick, somebody get a patent on the 'JoelOnSoftware' board. :)

Cletus

I think the original poster has a legitimate question.

Why the sudden push to get everyone to the mailing list?

- Raist

PS: Yes, Joel can do whatever he wants, NO SH*T.  Has nothing to do with the question or its legitimacy really.

Raist3d
Saturday, March 01, 2003

He's probably doing it (whatever it is), for Fun and Profit.

Simon Lucy
Saturday, March 01, 2003

i guess i'm getting taken all out of context here. i had already subscribed to the mailing list before my post. i was just wondering what the idea or reasoning behind the move was, that's all :)

ubaid dhiyan
Saturday, March 01, 2003

You're not taken out of context, it's just that Joel explained why.  The google search for "heisenberg effects" has a good 1st link.

n
Saturday, March 01, 2003

!
my bad.

ubaid dhiyan
Saturday, March 01, 2003

The answer was explained in the article.  If you're worried about spam, sign up through sneakemail.com

Dave
Monday, March 03, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home