Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

SourceForge like service for commercial code?

I am assuming most readers here know what SourceForge is.  What I am looking for is a bidness that offers a similar service, but for commercial projects, with access restricted by username/password. 

Yes, I know VA Software (or whatever they are called this week) offers a commercial version of their code, but our requirements do not involve a dedicated server and expensive.  Rather we would like to simply purchase space on a system with the following "ready to go" services:

(1) Access to our own "area" (for lack of a better word) by username/password.  We will issue these for our customers.

(2) ftp or http download services so our customers can grab the latest version of our stuff.

(3) Announcement/news area.

(4) Forum area to discuss user issues.

(5) Bug database - users can submit and review current bugs.

SourceForge has all this, but (run from the VA servers at least) there is no restriction on access, so not appropriate for commercial projects.

Naturally we are willing to pay for all this, but not *too* much.

Any suggestions?

Mitch & Murray (from downtown)
Wednesday, February 26, 2003

I'll trade you three URL's for the Gold Leads!!!

Always Be Closing
Thursday, February 27, 2003

would you trust your (proprietary) code to a third-party providing a communial service that is potentially also used by your competitors?  How closely would you study the T&C?

nice

Talk to www.mozdev.org for a commercial build of their hosting platform.

Simon Lucy

"Any suggestions?"

Well, you seem to think there is a market for it, otherwise you can't expect anyone to provide the service for you, right? And you haven't been able to find anywhere? Three possibilities that I see - its there and you haven't found it; no, or insufficient, market exists; or there is an untapped market which is just waiting for someone to provide the service.

Where you take this ball is of course up to you...

BTW, you might look at www.collab.net This doesn't seem to be really what they do, but that's not to say that they could not provide it (no, I don't work for them).

Take a look at vBulletin from Jelsoft (www.vBulletin.org) .

This will give you user services for controlling access, publishing news and forums.  You can also get extensions for Download area and bug databases.  Its all based on PHP and MySQL so you can get it hosted inexpensively.

Most of Sourceforge's features revolve around collaborative development based around CVS.  For making services available to you customers you only need to have a content management system.  Sourceforge is overkill.

Ged Byrne

Ya know

I've been thinking about providing this dort of service for a few years now. But wan't sure of the viablility of it.

Anyone think this is a channel worth pursuing ?

interested

I don't think a commercial service like this would have legs. By which I mean, it would get some users, but it would keep hitting up against the barrier that any team larger than 3 or 4 people would have their own servers and want to do things their own way.

We've occasionally thought about offering a hosted version of FogBUGZ but the people who inquire about it never want more than one or two licenses. The truth is that any development team that can't get organized enough to have one always-one server is probably just a couple of kids in a dorm room, or a single programmer working full time for Microsoft during the day and coding at night, with starry-eyed dreams of making his own software company, but without the confidence to drop his day job. (Hint: these kinds of startups have about a 1 in 10000 chance of going anywhere.)

In any case, a market exists for this, but it's not a market with very deep pockets, so it's hardly worth the effort.

Joel Spolsky

<<
a single programmer working full time for Microsoft during the day and coding at night, with starry-eyed dreams of making his own software company, but without the confidence to drop his day job. (Hint: these kinds of startups have about a 1 in 10000 chance of going anywhere.)
>>

This is semi-off-topic, but where'd you get this 1 in 10,000 number from? And I don't believe it's about confidence, it's mostly about economics.  You must eat, sleep & live to build your product.

Some ex-VA Software dude grabbed the latest official open source release of SourceForge and has been hacking away for some time; creating something called gForge. It basically is SourceForge but it saves you from the painful process of configuring SourceForge in your environment, and it has some extra features that make it worth a try.

http://gforge.org/

They do not offer hosting, which was the original question. But it is an atractive alternative, I think.

Beka Pantone

You're basically describing VA Software's commercial product: http://vasoftware.com/

pb

At one point Borland offered such service. It was called Teamsource DSP. You may want to check with them if it's still available.

R Chevallier

From reading kuro5hin.org, it seems that this place is highly rated for having root on your own virtual bsd/linux machine, at about 70$/mo.
http://www.johncompanies.com/

It doesn't solve the problem of installing and maintaining sourceforge/gforge/gnu-savannah, but normal dedicated hosting runs you like 200$/mo from a place like site5.com.  HTH.

sammy

You can buy a computer for $200 now and load up some free unix. With that everything you want is freely available: forums, CVS, mailing lists, bug trackers, databases.

We're getting a SourceForge demo in here next week.  I'll do a write-up afterwards.  I'm a perforce fan, however, they are screwing with the licesning terms  - to get new seats, we have to put the server on maintenance (screw that), so its likely that we're going to migrate to CVS in the future (yuck, CVS dirs gratuitously lyingall over the place, and inserting $$$ inot C header files - I hate that).

Nat

Nat Ersoz

Nat - if you do a writeup, I'd be most interesting in the pricing for their licenses.  I had no luck getting that out of them when I approached them a while back - had to get the full court press demo running (which we declined) before the price of the ticket would be revealed.

I noted in VA Software's most recent 10-Q filing they are reporting only $600K in revenue from software - which would be SourceForge.  At $200K sales a month and guessing this thing is probably pretty expensive they must only be selling a few licenses a month.

To the guy at the top of the thread that was after the good leads - these of course are the Glengarry leads.  All I can say is "A.I.D.A.!"

Mitch & Murray (from downtown)

Those other leads are weak. Looks like I'll be hitting the bricks....

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home