Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

interview

I have an interview scheduled where the job description asks for 3-5 years of experience, I have around 2 and half, is that a disadvantage for me, or is it the interview that really matters?

spock
Tuesday, February 25, 2003

There is insufficient data for a reasonable answer.

(To quote Isaac Asimov)

Brent P. Newhall

Oh, him? He's harmless. Part of the free speech movement at Berkeley in the sixties. I think he did a little too much LDS.

Kirk

LDS or LSD:-)

Prakash S

Logically, Mr Spock...

It was a disadvantage, up to the point where they asked you for an interview. If they asked to see you it means you weren't eliminated on experience, and you've as much chance as anyone else. So go for it.

David Clayworth

http://jhu.simon.rochester.edu/public_html/writing-others/last-question.htm

...insufficient data for a meaningful answer.

B#

In my experience, the number of years of experience you have does not necessarily correlate with how well you are able to understand a problem and code a solution. 

I also believe that the company you are interviewing with looked at your resume and thought you would be able to perform the job.  Otherwise how would you have gotten an interview?

It is the interview and your attitude that matters.  Are you going to go in and say, "I only have two and half years of experience.", or are you going to demonstrate to these folks that in those 2.5 years you used the skills they need and you can accomplish for them what you did for your previous employers.

Dave B.

Well written, Dave B.

Seriously, it's hard to say.  Some employers will absolutely require the 5 years of experience.  Some will be willing to fudge it, but will be looking for justification.  Some frankly won't care; they listed the 5 years as a rough approximation.

Whatever the situation, why not interview anyway?  At least you'll have a chance.

Brent P. Newhall

They said between 3-5 years, but I guess it's no big deal since they called me for the interview anyway

spock

LDS, Prakash - it's from ST4.

trekkie

It all depends if there's somoene else with more experience they find.  You are what they called "the backup".  Embrace it, and go for it !

Bella

Apart from the 'fallback' its the cost as well, if they find someone with the right experience it might cost them more on the salary budget.  If they hire someone with less experience then they'll need to train them (a liitle or a lot), and they may think that's cheaper or belongs to a different budget.

Either way, its immaterial to you.  You don't work at a job because of someone else's motivations but because yours and their motivations coincide.

Get yours straight for yourself and you have a better chance of coinciding with theirs.

Time to trim my beard.

Simon Lucy
Wednesday, February 26, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home