Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Experience with CVS Dude?

I've got some friends that are needing a place to stuff their code so everyone can access it and they don't have their own public server to run CVS on. I came across this site, http://cvsdude.kicks-ass.org but I was curious if anyone had heard anything about them?

The site claims to be a free place for folks to host their projects without opening up their code to the public. (Like SourceForge) Seems a little too good to be true, but....

Go Linux Go!
Monday, February 24, 2003

What are the requirements here?  They need a server so that "everyone can access it" but can't use sourceforge because it "opens it up to the public."  Huh?

It's not clear what they're trying to accomplish, so it's hard to give a suggestion.

Robert

I think he means "open" in the "open source" sense.  Can't use sourceforge for closed projects. 

Joe Blandy

Sorry, I just figured everyone was familiar with SourceForge.

SourceForge is a great place to host your Open Source software. However, you have no way of restricting anyone from downloading your source code. When you create your project, you agree to make it available under various licenses.

With cvsdude.org, you create a project but you control who can download your source and you don't have to agree to make the software available via a GPL type license.

Just wondering if anyone else is using them.

Go Linux Go!

I'd give it a 50/50 change of long survival.  Most free services dissapear for a few definable reasons, most of them having to do with being too popular.

No company with a real product is going to want to take their chances with a service that might dissapear tomorrow.  So the real companies who would potentially hammer it will probably not bother using it but spend the few thousand on a good linux box with CVS.

Savanah and Sourceforge already do what most folks want anyway in the open source community, plus they provide a certain measure of advertising.

Mostly the audience is folks who are just getting started on some closed-source project, and a good chunk of these folks won't get anywhere or put appreciable loads on the server.

So as long as the site doesn't attract content that annoys somebody with lots of money for lawyers or get too popular, it might stick around...

flamebait sr.

Why are you using source code control? I'm thinking half the reason is to protect your source code.

So to do that you're giving the source code to someone you've never met and with whom you have no contract.

Color me cynical, but...

Philo

Philip Janus

"Sorry, I just figured everyone was familiar with SourceForge."

I am quite familiar with sourceforge.  What I'm not familar with is what you're trying to accomplish.  But you gave a slightly better description this time.

I have not used "CVS Dude" but it doesn't give the impression of being professional or reliable - if for no other reason, the free dynamic IP domain is a tip that they have no budget and are probably just some guy or guys doing this for kicks.  I wouldn't expect it to stay around long term.

Why doesn't one of the parties involved run an sshd and host the repository?

Robert

Thanks for the replies.

The reason they aren't hosting it themselves is neither of these guys have their own dedicated server with an Internet connection and I'm not gonna let them use mine. :')

Basically, they are looking some place to keep their stuff so everyone around the country can access it. Best I can tell, they aren't designing super secret stuff, they just don't want to make it available under GPL.

Anyway, thanks for the replies.

Go Linux Go!

Is it me going too paranoid or does this topic look a lot like spam?

Jan Derk
Tuesday, February 25, 2003

Jan,

I think you're just paranoid. I was asking a question if anyone has used these guys. Why you think that looks like spam is beyond me. Unless you think I'm somehow associated with them. Which I am not.

But hey, if ya wanna be cynical and paranoid, be my guest.

Go Linux Go!
Tuesday, February 25, 2003

Hi, I am the administrator and designer of CVSDude. I, along with other developers were once looking for a service like what we now offer and could not find anything on the net that we wanted. SourceForge wants you to jump through too many hoops and you can only host open source and others can download your code. CVSDude is a hassle free service that allows you to get started and keep going with your project. Obviously if you have your own server accessable 24x7, running CVS then you don't need CVSDude.

At the moment there have been a few donations for our upgraded service. So we will be looking at moving to a bigger pipe and moving away from the Dynamic IP in the future as well as SSH access and horde/chora access (Graphical web CVS viewer). All CVSDude admins/developers have been working in the IT industry for years and we all have more than enough experience (especially Linux) to deal with the service (in case anyone was wondering). So it's up to you, if you like the service than great. If you don't then there is always SourceForge, etc.

Mark.

Mark Bathie
Thursday, February 27, 2003

I been a user of cvsdude for a number of months now and I can definitely recommend it. If you need a cvs repository you can access from any cvs client and need to control individual developer's access then its perfect.

There was an opportunity that my friend and I saw in the market. Unfortuntately he had a contract in Dublin and I was in London. We were familiar with Sourceforge but needed retain our own ip. We found cvsdude, setup an account, downloaded eclipse and off we went. No hassles and only started paying once we got off the ground!

Since then I've also set up a cvsdude account for company I am now working for.

Developers are very expensive in London and not neccessarily the most technically competent. Therefore we outsource non-essential aspects of our software to developers from other countries. Using sites such as
www.rentacoder.com we locate a developer, give him a specification, access to our source tree and work closely with them at each stage of development and testing. Once he's finished we restrict his access.

The total cost of us developing components doing this is a fraction of the cost of us trying to do this with developers from the uk.

Well done guys and keep up the good work ;-)

Scott.

Scott Bradley
Friday, February 28, 2003

Hi all,

I just want to let you know about an existing CVS hosting service that has been around for the past 3 years and plans to be around for many more.  <a href="http://www.sourcehosting.net/">SourceHosting.Net</a> provides hosted CVS repositories as well as Bugzilla bug database hosting and other features for virtual software development teams.

All CVS server access is SSL-encrypted, backups are performed to an offsite location every hour through an encrypted tunnel, and we perform all software and hardware maintenance so you can focus on your software development tasks.

If you are worried about placing your source code on an external server, I would be happy to forward references of satisfied customers.  If you have any other questions, please visit the web site or send me some email directly.

Best regards,
Greg Larkin

SourceHosting.Net, LLC
The new baseline for configuration management
http://www.sourcehosting.net/

Greg Larkin
Wednesday, March 31, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home