Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Printers that Scan, Scanners that Print

Hello,
  I'm spec'ing out a glorified document management system for a local government office.  Part of their process of taking in documents involves stamping the first & last pages and filling in some information.  My boss wants to eliminate the physical stamping and filling in of the information.  We also plan to scan the documents into the system and save them as PDFs.  My boss wants to combine these steps and have a device that scans the entire document (~20 pages usually) and prints the stamps & information in one fell swoop.  Does such a device exists that can manage this?  I've searched, but have only come across the standard office machines that scan & print, but using two different paper paths.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edward
Sunday, February 23, 2003

Pitney Bowes might be able to help you. They do all sorts of odd, automated things with paper.

dmooney

Yes, please go high end.  Do not I repeat do not try to get by with some $400 dollar multifunction peice of junk.  A decent system is going to cost $$$ especially if you want something you can shove documents in and walk away.

Mike

Perhaps I'm missing the point, but doesn't the stamp have to be on the original document? How would you pull that off the way you're talking?

Philo

Philip Janus
Monday, February 24, 2003

>>Yes, please go high end.  Do not I repeat do not try to get by with some $400 dollar multifunction peice of junk.

I have to agree, cheap multi function devices just don't cut the mustard.

Tony E

*grin* I have a cheap MFD that cuts the mustard for me at home where i don't need to scan that often, don't print that much, don't fax or photocopy much, but when i do i expect to just be able to do so with no hassle. Exactly what cheap MFDs were designed for.

I couldn't imagine it lasting a week at work however. I've seen people try this approach a few times however and its not pretty at all.

We're back to using things within their design parameters again.

Robert Moir

Spend bucks at the office, go budget at home.  Our home XE-80 deserves a blue ribbon or a statue.  The spouse and I want to be burried with it.  What a machine.

tk

Maybe Elan Capture from Elan GMK (http://www.elan-gmk.com/software.htm). It is intended for such a situations. You may email sales@elan-gmk.com for details.

(Disclaimer: I work for them.)

Pavel

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home