Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Indian company phone interview

Having been out of work for sometime in Canada, have been applying for jobs in India, my home country.I sent out the e-mails throught my Dad's e-mail in India, and gave my address in India.Now one of the companies have sent an e-mail asking for general info, and phone number to schedule a telephone screening.
They also ask for my salary at current/last employer.Converting my salary from CDN$ to Rupees would look to be exorbitant, so I left that part out.
Regarding phone numbers, should I give my current phone number, or the number in India? I don't know how the Indian company would react if I gave them a phone number outside India.
Any suggestions?

Sumit
Friday, February 21, 2003

>"Regarding phone numbers, should I give my current >phone number, or the number in India? "

- Give your current canada phone number, unless you plan to go to India and work there - anytime soon.

>I don't know how the Indian company would react if I >gave them a phone number outside India.

Well you don't, that might not neccesarily be bad. For all you know they might have a client 10 miles from where you live , who is looking for a person with your kind of skillset. (Wishful thinking, maybe)....but you never know.

Looks like you are not sure about leaving Canada and going to India, that my friend you have to answer for yourself -  that is the million $$$$$$ question?

Prakash S
Saturday, February 22, 2003

Prakash,
no the job is in India, I would have to relocate anyway.I am basically looking for a job, does not matter where, willing to relocate, job situation looks better in India then Canada currently, can always come back to Canada

Sumit

as an indian s/w engineer in india i can assure you that you should sell your foreign experience instead of trying to hide it. honesty is the best policy anyways.

indian programmer

Indian Programmer, from my experience most of the Indian companies think twice before doing a phone interview overseas.....

Sumit

This seems like a weird question.

You're in Canda and you're asking what number to give for phone interviews. We'll I'd say give the one the can contact you on - the Canadian number.

I understand that you're worried they'll see a non-Indian number and disregard your resume, but eventually, the fact that you're currently in Canada will be an issue that has to be dealt with.

Give the Canadian number. Good luck!

Walter Rumsby

Give them the Canada number, tell them you will be there till a certain date, after that date they can contact you in India.
Give them both the numbers.

Prakash S

Can't you schedule the phone interview by mail and propose to call them?

Dieter

The way you are approaching this makes it seem like you are trying to hide something. Why not be up-front about your situation: You are from India, have worked in Canada for a while, want to move back. Give your previous salary in Can$ but make it clear you recognize that's an unrealistic target due to cost-of-living differences etc. Give your Canadian phone number and offer to initiate the call to spare the company the expensive and inconvenience. Sell your overseas experience as an ASSET rather than a liability.

Sooner or later the company is going to find out the truth anyway -- like when they check your references or your previous employment history. Or when they call (in the middle of the night, your time) and ask you to come in for an in-person interview tomorrow and you have to tell them, well, even if you caught the next flight out it would be 24+ hours before you could be there.

Alternately, if you definitely intend to move back to India, why not just do it now? Not only would it be easier to look for a job while you're there, but your day-to-day living expenses would undoubtedly be much lower than in Canada.

John C.
Sunday, February 23, 2003

John C,
There are a few issues involved here, as I have become a Canadian citizen. no longer have my Indian citizenship, so would actually need a work permit.I am still not 100% sure on the move back, am still looking in Canada, basically exploring the waters.

Sumit
Sunday, February 23, 2003

BTW, are you Sumit Kumar Nath who did MTech Instru in IISc, Bangalore?

KP
Monday, February 24, 2003

KP,
Sorry I'm not the same person...

Sumit
Monday, February 24, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home