Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Similar to Userland?

What, in a nutshell, is the difference between CityDesk and Radio Userland? (http://userland.com)

Patrick Lioi
Wednesday, October 17, 2001

That's a fair question, but there will be no way to answer this one definitivly until Joel (inevitably) opens the CityDesk source.  Only then will you be able to do do a 'diff' comparison between the two products.

Anon Lover

While it's true that we can't be sure, there are a lot of educated guesses about the differences that you can make by reading the product description. Also, I think it's very telling to check the past records of the two companies, and you'll find huge disparities. For instance, Fog Creek cares about fixing bugs, and are interested in user interface.

All in all though, I think the two products are pretty different, which a cursory examination of the info page for CityDesk should show.

matt

Radio Userland: web server app
CityDesk: desktop app

In a nutshell: everything.

Friend

Friend: Radio Userland *is* for the desktop.  It runs the server on your local machine and lets you publish though a desktop gui via ftp to your "real" server for the rest of the world to see.  It has a gui editor to hide html, too, if I'm not mistaken, and allows templates so users can focus on content.  That's why I'm curious as to whether CityDesk offers an improvement or what.

Patrick Lioi

the question is :

which of these apps will allow the best tradeoff between usability - simplicity, and advanced features for modeling site structure, archives, and so on ? Too early in the beta test for me to answer.

Secondly, Radio always crashes my machine, CD doesn't, although it is still in beta stage.  But Radio exists on a mac, so I'm not obliged to run it above a virtual PC layer.

The main problem with radio is that there is no intuitive way to begin something (for a dummy like me...), and no good tutorial. But perhaps after learning it could be a good app.

For the moment my feeling is that CD works better than Radio, but is still very perfectible (I'll post more about this last point later).

Vincent Bénard
Thursday, October 18, 2001

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home