Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Why are you still employed?

I am sure people have asked this before many times.

So here's the question again:

What kind of company are you at and why are they (still?) making money? What is your feeling about the growth possibilities?

What is it that they do or how they do it that allows them to survive the dot com (and keep you around)...

Do you think they have a really good idea? Why? And how do you plan to take advantage or contribute a big part of that?

Li-fan Chen
Friday, February 21, 2003

[What kind of company are you at and why are they (still?) making money? What is your feeling about the growth possibilities?]

I subcontract for SAIC under TekSystems (AeroTek). They do mostly government contracting which is increasing spending. They will continue to grow with the new money allocated for the Dept of Homeland Security.

[What is it that they do or how they do it that allows them to survive the dot com (and keep you around)...]
see above

[Do you think they have a really good idea? Why? And how do you plan to take advantage or contribute a big part of that?]
Its a good idea, buit it's not my idea. I don't plan to do anything but give them solid work in exchange for solid pay. I see no future inside SAIC and If i stayed it would be temporary until I found another job. My parent company Tek Systems is really just a body shop like many others I have worked for. Although I hope that I will be able to shift to another project after this they might just as likely get rid of me. That's the contracting business. I will put the money aside for my own small software business.

Ian Stallings

I work for a billing company.  It's a super idea as long as people still need to get billed.  My plan is to do just a little more than what is expected of me and keep on getting a paycheck. 

I also work for a company that does government contracting (as well as commercial projects). In fact, the company produces natural language processing software, and we're starting to get recognized as a respected contractor of intelligence agencies. The amount of work that we do has skyrocketed in the last two years.

Benji Smith

I'm working at a small company that does "advertising" for companies. I'm almost positive we make most of our money of software development, but I guess after the dotcom crash, no one wants to own a "software" company.  Since we're small, and only have one big client, there isn't really any where for me to go.  Hopefully if we get another big client, we'll have to grow our division a little.  There is always plenty of side contract work for me, if I didn't want a steady pay check I could probably take  a chance doing that. 

Vincent Marquez

I just want to learn a bit about everyone
here; thank you guys for your feedbacks.

The company I work at has transformed over
time to meet customer needs. We currently
offer permission-based html-basd email
combined with web landing webpages to grow
relationships between our customers and
their customer base. Although some of the
content we have created saves customers lots
of money compare to their traditional method
of growing relationships (soft-sale mags,
events and television shows), it plays a
support role rather than steals the whole
show. Everything's measured and there's fun
technology at work (I do some programming
and data work). The key thing to me is I
have a chance to living in a great city
(Toronto!) while paying the bills.
-- David

Li-fan Chen

[We currently
offer permission-based html-basd email]

I've got a great idea on the drawing board for an email system to do just that. I have written mail software for the past few years so I wanted to capitalize on that. It's actually one of the ways my small business intends to make money, as a service provided to customers using our products and custom in house software.

Technically it was the most intriguing app I've worked on in quite a while, a distributed email system that could be scaled up quickly when the need arises by simply plugging in another node to a cluster.

I know this could be misconstrued as a spam system but I am highly opposed to spam and anything that smells like it. Permission based marketing is more like getting an email from JoelOnSoftware because you signed up for it, the service has a legit market, some clients need to send out massive amounts email for legit reasons. For instance - large retailers that need to send million+ emails in a short time period to mail list subscribers and handle the responses in a variety of ways. We would have to screen all customers very carefully and also watch them very carefully. Being labled as a spammer is the kiss of death in that industry.

Ian Stallings

DartMail (a part of DoubleClick) is one of several
major email deployment engines. Yeah I think it's hard to
stay in this business with any good will left if one
doesn't do it properly.

DartMail has clusters that track clickthroughs other important
stats as well as basic deployment clusters.

I think Microsoft is coming up with something too calll bCentral.

Sorry, ,a little off topic here :D

Li-fan Chen

I'm not employed, I'm the owner.

I just finished writing an installer and configuration setup for a POS system. I have my own company for tax purposes but am mainly a programmer for hire (not perm unless alot of $$$).

a startup.
they're not.

doobius

I work for an embedded systems company.  We specialize in PC/104 systems, and are pioneering a new form factor.  We make single boards, and complete systems.  The COTS market is always growing, and PC/104 grows with it.

Our business is split about 50% military/national security and about 40% industiral.  Our customers are very diverse.  We don't have any one customer that accounts for the majority of our sales.

Military spending is up right now, so we're doing pretty well.

Myron Semack
Saturday, February 22, 2003

At the moment, I'm unemployed and looking for job... Had 4 interviews and here's an interesting pattern: all these 4 companies are profitable. At the same time, none of the 5 companies I've been working with for the latest 10 years was profitable. The dot-com time is over ;)

raindog
Saturday, February 22, 2003

I'm self employed.  My principle client is a bank.  Banks, like other big companies, can be a pain in the arse (all the silly things associated with big companies).  But they can always pay the bills.  More specifically, mine.

As for why they still want me - I get the job done, and my rate, while high enough to keep me happy, is low enough that they're happy for me to stick around.

Plus, I'm not a precious kind of guy - I'm not the contractor who swans in and declares himself to improtant to be doing boring support/documentation/training type work, who only wants to do interesting things.  Want me to do an architecture?  Fine.  Want me to document something I've built?  Fine.  Want me to train people so they can take over from me?  Fine.  As long as it pays, it's my job.

Rodger Donaldson
Sunday, February 23, 2003

Now that I think about it, there's one other factor: I'm multiskilled.  I can turn my hand to most things, so there's always something that needs doing that I can do.

Rodger Donaldson

I work for a huge multi-national, they just haven't got around to sacking me yet. I'm sure they will.

Hiding behind the water dispenser

I just got laid off.  :(

Norrick
Tuesday, February 25, 2003

After being laid off at the end of 2001 it took me awhile to find something (10 Months). The job I currently have just had layoffs (I survived), my project (VB.net & J2EE WebLogic) was transferred to Denver and now I am told my group will be working on legacy VB 6.

So I put my resume out and I am inteviewing for a .net position which will be written from scratch for a financial company.

Although the market in general is bad, there still are opportunities out there.

I am in NY btw...

KenB
Tuesday, February 25, 2003

I survived because I'm able to adapt and change and at the same time still produce good work. Almost everything I do is leading edge (right now it's natural speech recognition and vxml) and I really enjoy it (11 years with company).

Also still here because the company is doing well. 2 years ago the stock price was at $31. Now it's at $118 (factoring out the 2 for 1 split last August) and we reported a record year last year.

Ichabod Crane
Friday, February 28, 2003

I was working as a contractor at the gov. agency. They announced that they were going to fire all the contractors who did not agree to come on board as FTE. (Offer not open to everyone - just the long term contractors that they liked.) They liked me and made a reasonable offer. The alternative was unemployment, so I took it.

Only 9 months, 3 days to go until I finish my 1 yr. probation. Then I'm civil service.  Almost impossible to fire me then.

The mad Hungarian
Saturday, March 01, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home