Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Commoditizing your compliments (part IV)

I guess hardware vendors might not be cheering the acquisition of Connectix VM technology by Microsoft.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2003/Feb03/02-19PartitionPR.asp

Just me (Sir to you)
Friday, February 21, 2003

Why do you say that?

Li-fan Chen

As a sofware vendor hardware is a natural complement. Eliminating the need for more boxes by utilizing them more efficiently gives you more playroom in your margins at the same customer solution pricepoint.

Cynics might want to look at it as allowing one Dell crunching away to run 10 Win2k server licences, instead of 10 Dells ideling away at 1 licence each. Dell -, MS +.
Unlike VMWare, MS could give this stuff away for free with every box of breakfast cerial and still make a handsome profit on it.

Another lesson: Never count on longterm profits from selling someone elses "Commoditize your Compliments" enabeler?

Just me (Sir to you)

Ahh, dood.. sorry for the spoon-feeding request.. it's too early still.

Li-fan Chen

It may be true that 10 smaller Machines could be replaced with 1 large machine but that one machine will have much better margins for the vendor.  (Does M Dell want to sell 10 machines with a $25 dollar margin or 1 8 way box with a $2500 dollar margin?)

Kevin

It only works for mostly idle or not symultaniously spiking machines of course.

Just me (Sir to you)

It's important for Microsoft because MS software doesn't scale vertically. All that faffing with federated SQL Servers is because you are tied to IA32 and the IBM PC clone.

John Ridout
Sunday, February 23, 2003

Sigh, here we go again.

http://www.tpc.org/tpcc/results/tpcc_result_detail.asp?id=103022001 seems to be scaling vertically quite nicely, so what is your point?
Did you mean to tell us that running multiple VM's each running Win2K3 on top of a host Win2K3 system would be a possible performance booster for strained clusters?
Djeezes, sometimes I wonder ...

Just me (Sir to you)
Monday, February 24, 2003

Sorry, that sounded a little harsher than I intended it to. What can I say except Monday morning ...

Just me (Sir to you)

This question will probably betray the fact that I've not read the Windows license agreement *at all ever*, but...

If I'm running two or more copies of Windows on the same physical machine using VMWare, does each copy need a separate license?

Neil E

Yes, each machine, be it virtual or physical needs a separate licence. For example: suppose you are unning Win2K as the host operating system, and on top of that 2 VM's that also run Win2K, you would need 3 Win2K licences.

Just me (Sir to you)
Tuesday, February 25, 2003

John,

this might ake some interesting reading for you:

http://www.idg.net/ic_1186278_9677_1-5044.html

Just me (Sir to you)
Thursday, February 27, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home