Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Least admirable people in IT

There've been posts before on the most admirable people in IT, but I'm curious who the least admirable people are.

I'm really not trying to start a flame war here (but it's probable inevitable, isn't it?).  I'm NOT interested in how much you hate Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Larry Ellison, etc.

What I am interested in is knowing the false prophets that should be avoided - bad authors, speakers, web pundits, etc.

It's always helpful to find out where to find good information, but it's also just as valuable to find out whose advice you should avoid.

Long time listener, first time caller
Friday, February 21, 2003

Anybody from Gartner.

John Topley

I've got a good one:

David Siegel

His book, Creating Killer Web Sites, is responsible for more poorly designed Websites then any other book.

Anyone disagree?

Jeff

Sanford Wallace

Better than being unemployed...

My boss at my first job.  Looked like Dilbert's boss and about as useful.

Joe Paradise

Any recruitment consultant.

Simon Lucy

Hey, my girlfriend's a recruitment consultant! :-( Not in the field of IT though. There are some good ones about, you know.

I know from personal experience that there are a lot who know FA about the sector.

John Topley

Most IT professors in academia.

Just me (Sir to you)

Profs qualify as IT people? OUCH!

Prakash S

I would say "Clueless Upper Management"

Prakash S

Anyone from Gartner. Or any other similar place.

Robert Moir

You guys are so wrong about the fine people at Gartner. I guess this because you are unable to interpret what they say.

As a rule of thumb: If Gartner/Meta/Giga say "turn left", you should "turn right", if they come up with some , consider only 10% of that.

Do this and you are fine:-)

Prakash S

"Media types", like writers for things like TechoWeek.  Reviews of dev tools by people don't even know how to code. 

Tech sales people.  Like an Oracle salesman.

People/firms who flood your (snail) mailbox with junk mail for overpriced corporate training. 

Headhunters & Agencies

Vendors of useless junk development tools.  There were 1000's in the bubble.  100 different tools that all did the same thing.  Just another useless layer.

Interesting, I guess the pattern I'm developing is people who are not directly in the IT field, but are making money off it with their ancillary services.  Carperbaggers, if you will.

Bella

I'll add stock market analysts to the list - not all of them, just the ones (like Henry Blodgett) who forgot that the idea is to hand out sensible advice rather than tell everyone to bet on nutty get-rich-quick schemes.

Neil E

It is not just the carperbaggers though. Count in all the zealots from every persuasion ( http://slashdot.org ).

Just me (Sir to you)

One more vote for Gartner.

We paid £50k for a report that was totally useless. And that' me putting it very nicely.

Still it buys senior management a warm and fuzzy feeling.

tapiwa

One more ... anyone that does HTML Programming

tapiwa

>One more ... anyone that does HTML Programming

"HTML programming " as a phrase should be outlawed, since it missleads people to believe that people doing HTML pages is programmers.

I do some HTML occasionally, just to present some DB-data to users :-)

YAY! Im the least admirable guy in IT.

Patrik

People who think HTML is programming, shurely?

Neil E

Hokay, how about the gits who hide what their work actually is by inventing new words, or new uses for old words.

Was it here on JoS that someone pointed out the simple truth that Architects 'design' buildings, but Software Designers 'Architect' software?

Neil E

I think you misunderstood.

I should have said anyone who does 'HTML Programming' :)

Every time I hear that phrase, I cringe, and feel like shooting the person, chopping them up and then feeding them to the pigs.

tapiwa

John Topley --

Care to elaborate on your impression of Gartner?  I went to a conference with several speakers from Gartner, and frankly I wasn't very impressed.

But I'm curious why you said to avoid Gartner.

programmer

I agree this time T. I think it's about as sensible as someone saying 'I did some Photoshop programming'. Unless they happen to work for Adobe, obviously.

Now 'Flash Development' is a weird one. I'm not sure if that sounds right or not.

Neil E

The arrogant technical people that have no sense on where their paychecks come from.

Richard Marks

Programmer:

I've read some of their reports that have been used as part of the decision-making process where I work and wasn't very impressed with some of their assessments. It's probably more of a reflection on some high-level managers who I feel should educate themselves about industry trends, rather than just make decisions based on what Gartner say.

John Topley

Politicians that try to get involved in any technology, when they haven't the absolute least clue what the hell they are talking about.

So I guess that's about all of them, really.

Brian Hall

Any agency technical recruiters. The people that play mind games with you and work hard to control you.

Contract recruitment agencies. Lying scum o' the earth pieces of human excrement that would treat Stephen Hawking - level people like streetsweepers, and would sell out their grandmothers to crack whoring. And that's on a day when they're feeling ethical.

HR personnel in most companies. Clueless gatekeepers looking for keyword hits in resumes and snottily defending their ignorance in ongoing work to defend their existence.

Any condescending a$$hole in our industry who falls back on "higher authority" arguments: "we don't use contractors, that's er, uhm, Mr. Big's jurisdiction and he is just too busy to bother."

An actual person: Harris Miller, president of the Information Technology Association (ITAA; Arlington, Va.), who has spin-doctored a non existence shortage of IT people. This guy is the Joseph Mengele of mass corporate layoffs and offshoring.

Any and all of these people should be top candidates for testing of the next space shuttle mission... in the cargo bay, with 20 gal. gas cans tied around their waists.

Bored Bystander

Telecom Industry management and everyone who believes that the solution to every IT problem is a Microsoft | SUN | Oracle | IBM.... product.

fool for python

Judges, that unhindered by any knowledge of the subject matter are led by lawyers that unhindered by any knowledge of the subject matter cave into a public court that misguided by devious spindocters edges on a clueless press that unhindered by any knowledge of the subject matter spouts any nonse it believes will rack in more pageviews.

Just me (Sir to you)

People that advocate scale out for things that should be scaled up.  People that advocate FAT clients.  The people that wrote Adage.

Cedric

I am the least admirable person in IT.

I am going to open a eatery and watch the y generation try to walk the walk in the next dot com.

Li-fan Chen

I forgot to add my own to this list: Steve Gibson of http://www.grc.com . The guy's a great self-promoter, but he's been debunked by many others with better credentials. I steer clear of GRC nowadays.

(for a nice listing of Steve Gibson debunking articles, see http://cable-dsl.home.att.net/netbios.htm#ShieldsUp )

Long time listener, first time caller

Will you do tuna burgers?

Just me (Sir to you)

"Politicians that try to get involved in any technology, when they haven't the absolute least clue what the hell they are talking about."

Maybe politicians that do have a clue are even more dangerous. RMS?

Just me (Sir to you)

FAT clients are now called RICH clients so all those people can still be admired ;-)

fool for python

We broke free from the punch card reader,
We escaped the green screen,
We outran the X-terminal
It's bedtime for the browser

;-)

Just me (Sir to you)

I second the vote for people in general who conned the media into believing there was a mass IT shortage, the purpose of this grand con being to extend and expand the H1-B visa program.

Kyralessa

Jack Valenti

Not that he is "in IT".  Just that he may be doing more damage to IT than anyone else.

Q

Wow, I agree with Bella!

ZDNet commentary column writers.

ODN

<<The arrogant technical people that have no sense on where their paychecks come from.>>

Sorry rich but our paychecks come from us with you skimming of the top

Daniel Shchyokin

Gartner and (most) recruiters

Jerry Pournelle
Eric S. Raymond

AC
Saturday, February 22, 2003

The Angry Coder aka Mr Knowitall

Cedric

People that classify developers as "the technical people"

trollbooth

John C. Dvorak

sgf

I thiught the original question was more about "false prophets", not about ordinary less-than-ideal people like technical recruiters, etc.

In this regard, my candidate for least admirable language designer:

James Gosling

Look at the designers of the other popular languages:
Kernighan, Ritchie, Stroustrup, Wall, van Rossum,  Hejlsberg, Matsumoto, etc. and compare their attitude and insight with Gosling's.

raindog

Didn't James Gosling go off on a Microsoft evil, Sun good tangent at the Java devcon recently?

That does seem to be typical from anyone from Sun lately though.

Cedric
Sunday, February 23, 2003

>>>>>John C. Dvorak

sgf
Saturday, February 22, 2003 <<<<<<<

Strange; he's my favorite journalist. Think of the money people would have saved if they'd listened to him talking about dotcom companies.

Stephen Jones

Least admirable person --

Dave Winer.

Unfortunately, he thinks he "got there first" on the weblog trend, and he won't let anyone forget about it.  His products don't work worth a damn.  And his observations in his weblogs are imbecilic.

programmer

Eric S. Raymond pushes my buttons.  He's smart and has some great ideas, but he acts too much like a lone prophet in the wilderness for my tastes.

I certainly admire Raymond the least, but comparing him with Sanford "Spamford" Wallace is like comparing Puck with Hitler.  No contest.  At least Raymond isn't *trying* to be annoying.

(Along with Stephen Jones, I like John C. Dvorak.  He's over-the-top and makes strong predictions, but he's upfront about this and has a good sense of humor about it all.)

Brent P. Newhall
Monday, February 24, 2003

I'm going to 2nd or possibly 3rd John C. Dvorak.  I had saved some of my old PC Magazines and then went back after some years and read his old prognostication columns.  He was almost universally off the mark or dead wrong.  Maybe he should get the "Most BoneHeaded IT Person" award.

Gregory T. Kellerman
Monday, February 24, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home