Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Professional Associations

Is anyone a member of a professional association -- IEEE, ACM, etc?  Is there much benefit to joining one?  Just curious.

GML
Thursday, February 20, 2003

I recently gave up my membership in the ACM. I just wasn't getting much out of it. Mind you, I only subscribed to CACM, not any of the more interesting SIG journals, nor did I attend any ACM conferences.

In the end, my membership ended up being an overpriced subscription to a magazine that rarely contained anything I cared to read.

That's not to say the experience was totally negative. Occasionally CACM would have a few really interesting articles. Phillip Armour's articles on the 5 orders of ignorance, for example, were well worth the read. The rest felt like filler.

I've found that I can find more relevant content on the web.

Kent Pitman has written about his own experiences as an ACM member and columnist here

http://world.std.com/~pitman/pfaq/acm.html

Your milage may vary.

Ken Dyck
Thursday, February 20, 2003

IEEE member for 3 years, gave it up 2 years back.

Prakash S
Friday, February 21, 2003

Perl Mongers

Matt H.

I was a member of the IEEE Computer Society for 5 or so years, but gave it up a few years back.

I mainly joined for the magazines, which were very good.

These days I keep up to date by reading Slashdot, JoS etc. and haven't missed dropping the IEEE subscription.

The money I used to spend on IEEE I now use to subscribe to O'Reilly's excellent Safari service.

7FFEFEC0

ACM/IEEE and what have you is more useful and important for researchers than for grunts - it's so that you can meet other myopic researchers who do more math and writing than programming and increasingly study less and less... :)

Warren Henning
Saturday, February 22, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home