Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Google + Blogger = Go_Ogle, #1 Online Dating Site?

Here's how I think it will happen:

First, Google will improve the searchability of the "blogosphere" by making it easy for bloggers to append a file containing information about themselves and their blogger friends. This information will be encoded in an RDF dialect called FOAF (Friend of a Friend).

Soon after, it will start to dawn on people that the FOAF file is effectively a static online profile, while the associated blog is akin to a living profile (in the 'living document' sense).

One tipping (i.e. inflection) point later, usage of Google by date seekers will grow to an such extent that our (grand)children will read about it in their history texts. Online dating is at 26M users and growing, after all.

Google will then acquire the best RDF query toolmakers and launch Go_Ogle, the mother of all online dating sites.

More on this, including a pointer to foundational code for GPLed Go_Ogle, at www.opportunityservices.com.

Thoughts?

Enjoy,

Frank Ruscica

Founder
The Opportunity Services Group :: Have Fun to Get Ready
www.opportunityservices.com

Frank Ruscica
Wednesday, February 19, 2003

Frank,

You are one crazy nut! That site is hilarious and looks totally authentic.

Thanks!

Tony Chang
Wednesday, February 19, 2003

Any other ideas why google would have bought blogger? Blogger is a decent little web application, but it's not overly complex, a good team of developers could put together something similar in quite a short time frame.

Which makes me think they must be buying it because of the number of users who currently user Blogger, or maybe the number of people that know about it. Or maybe Pyra sold blogger for so cheap is was a case of cheaper to buy than build (I doubt that).

Ben
Thursday, February 20, 2003

They don't want Blogger, they want the Blogs and - more importantly - the Bloggers.

Collaborative filtering on a massive and up-to-date scale, a vast source of quality content which will get priority indexing.  Google has the biggest collection of documents, and Blogger has a ready-built team of reviewers.  That's why they haven't just knocked up their own software - they've bought a user base.

Tom (a programmer)

Forgot to mention... for an idea of how effective blogs are for finding good content, check out MIT's Blogdex http://blogdex.media.mit.edu/

Not a dull link among them!

Tom (a programmer)

I don't think Google wants Pyra's blogs because the Google already indexes them and the blog content is owned by the users themselves. And where's the money in that? I think Google wants something they can sell. Their Google Appliance is searching company's existing intranet content. With Blogger, Google Appliance can now help create new intranet content.

runtime

Outsource software development is available at
www.softprofessional.com

Mukul Gupta
Tuesday, March 11, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home