Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Windows NT/200X Build Process

Interesting stuff...

http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/winserver2k3_gold1.asp

GiorgioG
Wednesday, February 19, 2003

Wow. One guy killed OS/2:
"By the spring of 1990, we had the MIPS version limping along and we started the 386 version in earnest," Lucovsky said. "It was another huge growth spurt." That May, Microsoft released Windows 3.0 and, suddenly, the world took notice. Windows was a smash success, and the obvious future of PC-based graphical computing. "We started looking at Windows 3.0 and said, 'What if, instead of OS/2, we did a 32-bit version of Windows?'" Lucovsky noted, casually throwing out the question on which the next decade of computing hinged.

Philo

Philip Janus
Wednesday, February 19, 2003

I liked the "for the first two weeks it was uneventful while they designed it... and then it was Time To Write Code!!!"

<grin>

This explains SOOOO much.

Katie Lucas
Thursday, February 20, 2003

I wonder why they're so impressed with how big the NT server code base is (50 million lines+), and yet they continue to lose ground against Linux (I think the kernel is ~700,000 lines).

Whoopee.

d00d
Friday, February 21, 2003

That 50 million lines includes everything in Windows, with all bundled apps and utilities, probably also IE and such. I'm sure the kernel is much smaller.

Frederik Slijkerman

True, that 50M+ code base includes everything - drivers, gui, apps, etc.  Even Linux is in the millions if you include the basic tools and utilities that come with the OS (i.e. not the extras added on like office suites).

AEB

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home