Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

ASP-based CMS and E-commerce system

Hi All!
Could you please recommend a good CMS and E-commerce ASP technology based system? I would prefer to see 2-in-1 system. The database for this project will be MS SQL. I was thinking about MS solutions, CMS Server and Commerce server, but....$43K+7K per processor?! No tnx. (we'll need two servers for this project and this results in $100K for licenses...)
This system is needed for rather complex Internet/Intranet site with some e-commerce enabled (many pages, images, some Flash, audio, video clips). Site content will be updated by client's personnel. They work with ASP already, that's why we can't switch to Java/JSP in this particular case.
Tnx in advance

Slava
Wednesday, February 19, 2003

I don't know if OpenACS runs on Windows, but it's free.

Li-fan Chen

I got one of the older tcl versions of acs to run on Windows 2K with Oracle 8i enterprise edition, if that's any help.  I know aD also did some work on making IIS extensions so that you could run the acs under IIS.  Openacs also works with postgres which can be bodged to work under Windows, so I don't see why not, given that you can get AOLServer for Windows too.

Konrad

You could certainly build such a system yourself or contract someone to do it for you.  Yes, it might be as expensive as CMS+Commerce Server, but you'd have exactly what you need nothing more and nothing less.  And you can deploy it to 1,2,3,4 or 500 servers, etc.

GiorgioG

Maybe the new ASP/NET starter kits will help. There is a CMS and a commerce one.

http://www.asp.net/Default.aspx?tabindex=9&tabid=47

Damian

Well, tnx for help, but looks like I need to give you more details.
The client already uses ASP technology, and he has MS SQL already. I would prefer Java+JSP+Interbase solution, but in this particular case we can't use anything except ASP+MS SQL, they just want to keep current technology platform. And also we need commercial solution for this project, not open-source, but also not something as expensive as MS ones. We will use this solution for this project only, so there is no reason to build complex ASP-based CMS and E-commerce ourselves, because we usually use Java or Perl for our projects, and already have some useful Java and Perl code that we can't use in this particular case.
I've found several ASP-based CMS systems, like Web500 or CMS300, they have $5k-$10K price tag...may be someone could recommend more solutions in this price range?
We just do not want to re-invent the wheel:)
Tnx again

Slava
Thursday, February 20, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home