Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

First Web Application

Ok, I've been developing software for 15 years or so and I've never developed a web app. So I figure it's about time I knock something up so that I can get a feel for the whole thing.

My idea is to build something that allows users to key in data, save it, and recover it again. I don't really care about the sort of application that I'm going to build, it's more the basic concepts and getting a simple handle on the process that I'm interested in. If I enjoy it I might do some more, otherwise I'm not interested.

What 'mainstream tools' would you seasoned web developers recommend for a software savvy non web guy like me?

Many thanks.

Web=Fun?
Tuesday, February 18, 2003

Just a little background, I am very experienced with C, C++, Oracle, SQL Server, Visual Basic (incl .NET), Access, many other tools etc, just no web stuff.

Web=Fun?
Tuesday, February 18, 2003

if you know VB.net, this will be really easy for you.  prepare to be bored. Learn some basic html, open up the the "getting started with aspx" section of the sdk, and go to town.  DotNet has tried very hard to make it so "web" controls behave similar to windows forms. 

Vincent Marquez
Wednesday, February 19, 2003

If you want to knock out a quick web app, PHP is a real easy way to do so.    It was designed specifically for web development, so you'll find the included library helps a lot.    The documentation at http://www.php.net is pretty good.   

I originally used ODBC -> Access with PHP because I didn't want to install MySQL on Windows, although I've heard that the install has improved in the past few years.

You can outgrow PHP pretty quickly, but it's a good starting point.

anon

"So I figure it's about time I knock something up so that I can get a feel for the whole thing."

[g] My mind is seriously in the gutter today.

Useless Comment

If Microsoft, VBScript/C++ and ASP/ASP.NET and MSSQL/Access at Brinkster (or similar).

If *nix, PHP + MySQL at Hypermart (or similar).

pb

"If *nix, PHP + MySQL at Hypermart (or similar)."

PHP and MySQL work fine on a W2K host, at least just to get a feel for things. I've successfully used the same PHP scripts under Apache and OmniHTTPd web servers.

Frederic Faure

If you have experience with all that you might want to check out several of those platforms, if you have access to and relatively recent (8.1.x) DB you could go with the Apache Oracle ships, which has a Apache module installed for native OCI connections to Oracle.

You map up an URL in Apache, say www.site.com/db/
and everything called over that URL is assumed to be a PL/SQL stored procedure. There is a buch of PL/SQL wrappers to get the data back to Apache.

If you want to go with the Microsoft line of products, you could try out ASP and do ODBC or DAO connects to the database.

All of the suggestions in this thread is good starting points to web development, you just have to chose your approach and plattform.

Have fun,

Patrik

Thank you one and all, I'll have a crack at .NET and PHP.

Thanks again.

Web=Fun?

Once you try ASP.NET, you'll be screaming in pain every time you have to deal with PHP.

You have to write a LOT of code to get forms in PHP to do the stuff they do in ASP.NET out of the box.

Chris Tavares
Thursday, February 20, 2003

Try this: www.foxserv.net.  One-step installation of Apache, MySQL, and PHP for your Windows platform.  You'd probably also be interested in using phpMyAdmin for managing your MySQL databases (look on sourceforge.net for that).

php phanatic
Monday, February 24, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home