Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

current salary levels

for those people actually finding work in this economy, how much changes are they finding in salary levels? gone down a lot?

RS
Monday, February 17, 2003

10 years experience in C++, currently doing .NET stuff.  Varied systems level experience on Windows platform.  Been at job 4 years.

$68,000/year.  Can't really ask for more in this economy and geographic area.

Others?

Anonymous
Monday, February 17, 2003

whats your geographic area?  Do you manage anyone? Internal projects or development company?  I've found that all fo these are big factors in pay.  If your company does consulting, and they're billing you out at $170 bucks an hour, and charging twice as many hours as its taking you to do stuff, you have a lot more leverage opposed to the in house app guy.  If I worked full time I'd make 60 a year, (3 years experience, doing c#, j2ee, perl).  My boss makes more then twice what I make though.

Vincent Marquez
Tuesday, February 18, 2003

I think salary levels haven't changed much in the past two years.  In other words, you  may make 3K more than you did two years ago, but your "range" of Min / Mid / Max might be the same.

Or worse, you could go work somewhere else for a raise, better title, and have a lower "range" of salary - which makes a glass ceiling for you.

I also know a lot of people who have been laid off, and they are generally now either not working, or accepted a 10 to 20 percent pay cut at the new job.

Overall, the hiring state isn't "terrible" like the popular media (and web-forums) like to complain, but it isn't the gold rush of 1998.

Then again, the gold rush of 1998 WASN'T REAL, and that set us up for this in the first place ....

Regards,

Matt H.

I have seen wild salary disparities at all levels. I see contract programmers who made $100-200/hour in 2000 get $75-125 now. However, I still see people making $200 for no apparent reason.

For permanent positions, I have seen VPs coming in at way less than $100K (one at $85K) and project managers continuing to come in at $100-120K (again, for no apparent reason).

The only constant trend seems to be insanity. Good luck trying to figure it out. The only safe bet seems to be trying to find a company or industry that's growing. In those cases, salaries seem to be fairly consistent and only down a little bit (~10-15%).

brown mumbler

Don't want to say exactly, but last year was my best of 5+ in terms of money

Daniel Shchyokin

I had a whole 5 paragraph post typed out until I accidentally hit the back button on my intellimouse so here it is straight:

I'm a junior level VB/MSSQL programmer with 1 year pro. exp. making $45K/yr.

BTW, If anyone wants a job near Philly, my very busy company is hiring.  email me!

(no, I'm not the CEO, yes it's an extremely cool environment and, we just got nice new office space to play in).

Wayne

I'm at 63K, - embedded work in Southeast, USA (with 3.5 years experience). A developer with 10 years in is making about 75k. I believe technical managers fetch around 100k. However, staffing shortages and paid overtime, tend to inflate the salaries somewhat.

Simon
Wednesday, February 19, 2003

In Canada.

15 years programming experience.  Mainly C and C++.
Unix/Windows.  Lots of other stuff....

2 years ago $ 72,500
now $50,000 (and I almost had to beg for it.  First offer was $45,000)

Different company, of course.  The first one lost it's funding.

happy to be working

In Russia province:
8 years C++ experience
$ 12000/year

Denis

Come to america man!  If your decent you could get triple that in a heartbeat! :-) 

Vincent Marquez

<<
Come to america man!  If your decent you could get triple that in a heartbeat! :-) 
>>
$12,000 in the USA != $12,000 in Russia

$36,000 in the USA will not get you far.  And if he's going to adjust to a new culture, environment, displace his family, etc., he'd better damn well be making $60+ to make it worth his while.

Granted $36,000 pays the bills (it's about what I make), it certainly is not what I'd call a great sum.

GiorgioG

I don't know about Russia right now, but I lived in Romania for a year and a half, and at $1000 a month I could have lived like a king.  (As it was, I taught English there and made about $100 a month, which was barely adequate for a single guy with no dependents; half it of went to rent.)

Kyralessa

>If your decent you could get triple that in a heartbeat

He's Russian, of course he's good!  :)

Wayne

Isn't $12000 in russia an extremely good salary?

Prakash S

I'll have something like $18K in Russia soon, will have a new work there...
$12K is good salary but not excellent. $18k is better, of course:)
Don't forget that this salary is the money you can actually use - no taxes, etc:) (well, we don' pay taxes:)
And if you have about $20K there, I don't think there is a money-related reason to go to US. $20K here is much better than, well, $60K in US.

Slava
Thursday, February 20, 2003

$20K here is much better than, well, $60K in US

- guessed that much. cool.

Prakash S
Thursday, February 20, 2003

Russia is divided to Moscow - higher salaries, higher life level, St. Peterburg mid level, mid salaries and everything else *(read "village "Viperville").

$12000-18000 p/a netto is ok for Moscow (far above average)
$12000-18000 p/a netto is rich for St. Peterburg
$12000-18000 p/a netto is enourmous "I-m-a-king!" thing for anywhere else.

But, still remeber if you're living "anywhere else" you can invest your money only into vodka and pretty girls. And no such luxury, like being in a center of a world.

Vlad
Saturday, March 08, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home