Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Converting M-JPEG

Not sure if this is the right place for this but....

My Canon Powershot G1 takes videos that it saves as AVI.  It turns out that they are really a limited version of AVI called M-JPEG.

Quicktime has the CODEC for that, and so do the most recent releases for Windows Media Player for Win2K and WinXP.

Unfortunately, Win98 computers, and the most up-to-date Media Player (I think version 6) can't play the file.

When I use the embed tag on a website, it automatically tries to use Media Player.  Does anyone know any way for me to:
1) Force the browser to use quicktime, or
2) Convert the movies to some other format that older media players can view?

Thanks

Charles Reich
Monday, February 17, 2003

Windows Media Player is now at version 8.0.  To force the browser to use Quicktime you could try converting the file to proprietary Quicktime format or setting Quicktime as the default media player.  Not sure on how to convert, but you may be able to simply load the movie in Quicktime and then "Save As" a different format.

12 Cheeseburger Eatin, 14 pie Guzzlin Fool
Monday, February 17, 2003

AVI is just a container, that contains video (and audio) encoded with different codecs - one of them id M-JPEG.
If you want to convert the video sequence to another format (MPEG-4, Indeo, etc), try using VirtualDub ( http://virtualdub.org ), an open-source and free linear video editor for Win32.

masken
Tuesday, February 18, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home