Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

scientific apps

I was working on scientific apps, developing CAD models, simulation and modeling of 3D structures, in C++, had some good experience, with Math/data structures, geomteric models, etc... Most of my skills are required in game dev, but game dev. people require you to have one previous game creation experience.....anybody aware of scientific programmer opportunities?

Steve Simons
Monday, February 17, 2003

Unfortunately, they seem rather rare. From my experience of working in the science community, I have to say it's fun. You get to do new things, you get to work for bright people who are almost always doing interesting stuff, although it's not always that comprehensible. The companies tend to be small, campus-edge places that are actually interested in software production rather than some screwed up political process covered over with a veneer of middleware.

Best approach - find a decent university which has a business or science park attached, mail a CV to all those companies. A lot of them aren't actually hiring and never really officially have vacant positions, but if someone with an interesting skillset comes along they'll talk to them.

Be interesting, and you'll attract someone's attention. Usually in places like this, they like people who can pick stuff up and play with it without needing to be hand-held  -- I used to write microscope control software. I'd get sent bits of hardware and a 1 page list of specs and asked to "make that talk to that" and left to it. So they're after bright, self-motivated people who can get interested in lots of things.

Katie Lucas

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a CV?

Ignorant

>>Pardon my ignorance, but what is a CV?

CV == Curriculum Vitae == Academic/European term for resume.

RocketJeff

I'm not sure what you're getting at by scientific programming, but what about LabView, et al? Often used to hook up them fancy scientific doo-dads.

D Diggler

If you're in the UK, how about Government labs? Maggie killed off quite a few, but there are sill some left. Try Aldermaston, or GCHQ. You won't get paid a bundle, and you won't get to work with the shiniest equipment, but the work is often interesting.

David Clayworth

"I was working on scientific apps, developing CAD models, simulation and modeling of 3D structures, in C++, had some good experience, with Math/data structures, geomteric models, etc... Most of my skills are required in game dev, but game dev. people require you to have one previous game creation experience.....anybody aware of scientific programmer opportunities?"

Your best bet is govt, military, and defense contractors.  And it helps to have an advanced degree.  I think you'd find that game dev is mostly a very different ballgame than "real" physics simulation and modeling.

Robert

One way to approach finding a scientific programming job is to look for companies that do the kind of work you would be interested.

It sounds like your background is more front-end (user interface and graphics) rather than back-end (chemistry, mechanical engineering, etc.).

If you are looking for that kind of job, then you can look at companies that specialize in:

Math
    Wolfram, Key Curriculum Press (geometry software), Saltire Software (geometry and computer algebra systems), Maple (that's the software name, don't remember the company name), Sunburst

Engineering
    Tons of places depending on what specifically you are looking for: AutoDesk, ComputerVision, Engineering Animation (who just merged with some other company a year or two ago), Credence

Science
    Schrodinger, Accelrys, Tripos (all chemistry companies), etc.

If you find companies in these areas that meet your other criteria (location, etc.), then you can aggressively pursue those opportunities.

If you have a particular geographic area that you are looking in, you could post that--you might get some more specific companies.

Scott MacHaffie
Tuesday, February 18, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home