Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

How did you stumble upon JoS?: Revisited

The first time I asked this question (http://discuss.fogcreek.com/joelonsoftware/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=756) , I got a lot of links to some very cool websites.

So if you have already answered this before, thanks. For the others, I am interested in your replies.

Thanks,

Prakash S
Monday, February 17, 2003

Slashdot.

Anonymous Coward

I was idly browsing the 'net one afternoon looking for good VB questions, and one of the sites had a link to Joel's "Guerilla Guide To Interviewing".

It was a big "aha!" moment, as I remember some years previously being in an interview where the other interviewer (my then manager) asked the candidate "How much water flows out of the Mississipi in a year?" The impossible question.

I then read the stuff on specs and daily builds, which confirmed that what I wanted to do (ie: get specs and daily builds into every project) was a good way to go.

Better than being unemployed...

You won't beleive it, but my boss recommended it :-)

Anon

Same thing happened to me. :-).

Ricardo Antunes da Costa

I'd love to work for somebody who was a fan of JoS

Better than being unemployed...

I don't honestly remember. I think I was taking CS 641 (SW Mgt) at Grand Valley, and going lots of web searches.  Somehow, I hit Joel.  Might have been before that, though.

In other news, I'm starting a new job in a few week, and I'm thinking of printing out some of Joels Articles - specifically, "The Joel Test" and some of his stuff about not re-writing from scratch.

Then, when I'm talking about stuff, I can hand them out.

Too forward? :-)

regards,

Matt H.

>Too forward? :-)

I say that b/c we spent a lot of time in the interview talking about QA and software process, and I got the impression that they want to put me in a role where I could "help."

But the organization is world-class and I'm proud to even be joining the team.  I don't want to come off as arrogant on the first day. :-)

Matt H.

From a game developers' mailing list. Big names there, and almost all of them thought The Joel Test was a good thing.

Leonardo Herrera

A good friend recommended it after he had read the "Fire and Motion" article.

Have fun,

Jutta Jordans

My late prof recommended an article concerning interface design. I read it and found it interesting enough to browse around the site. Sometimes people can be critical, but usually if you don't get into one of those flame wars, you can learn a lot.

S.C.

I think I was searching for user interface related stuff, and found Joel's book excerpt. Or something.

Martha

Big fricking deal!

Jim

Jason Kottke (kottke.org) mentioned him years ago.  Don't read Kottke any more, but can't get enough of JoS

Joe Paradise

Word of mouth from another developer who reads JoS.

Joe
http://www.joegrossberg.com

Joe Grossberg

I found Joel's site about a year ago.

There was a link on slashdot to an article interviewing Joel. The article is posted at

http://www.softwaremarketsolution.com/SMS%20Articles/An_Interview_with_Joel_Spolsky.htm

I read the article, which linked to fogcreek.

I no longer read slashdot (except on very very rare occasions when I'm really bored and have read everything else on the internet), but I'm glad that it led me to JoS.

Benji Smith
Wednesday, February 19, 2003

I saw a link on Scripting News (http://www.scripting.com) to an article Joel had written .    I think I found out about scripting.com from Slashdot.

anon
Wednesday, February 19, 2003

Someone once pointed me to the UI design stuff.

Just me (Sir to you)
Thursday, February 20, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home