Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Dot com movie titles

I want to watch some of the movies made about the dotcom era.  Wasn't one called startup.com?  Wasn't there a documentary about some government agency that was making a health website?  Any others?  Are these available in your typical Blockbuster store?  Thanks!

Bella
Saturday, February 15, 2003

The movie "Startup.com" was about the govworks.com web site, if that's what you're thinking of.

Troy King

I rented and watched Startup.com from Blockbuster, only because I saw it sitting on the shelf and it caught my interest. 

I thought captured the greed, over-exuberance, and the ultimate bubble burst reasonably well. 

But the film quality isn't that great (it almost looks like a home movie), and I would have liked to see more about the aftermath.  I also would have liked to see the filmakers go farther with the "people, relationships, and contentment are more important than $$$" theme. 

I thought it was OK but not great, you'll probably like it if the dot com boom&bust is a subject that interests you.

Nick B.

FWIW:

You have seen Office Space of course, there was this other movie,  "the first $20 million is always the hardest" - based on a book by Po Brosnon I think.

Prakash S

Code Rush was another movie from the dot com era. It was a documentary inside netscape that aired on PBS. They were in the transition of opening the source to Netscape, creating Mozilla. After watching that I felt pitty for them, they worked very hard but it was obvious that they had no process (symptoms: late hours, tons of bugs, sleeping at the office, one person in charge of a chunk of code that nobody else in the company knew, etc.)  and the company lacked direction.

Ian Stallings

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home