Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Compatibility using SQLServer 2K Client w/ SS7.0

Hi yall,

At our company got licenses for both 7.0 and 2000, but for sanity's sake (or insanity's sake depending on your feeling) on the back end we are using 7.0. Anyway, some of us coders are becoming quite fond of the advances made in Sql Server 2000 client tools. Especially the new add-ons for the DTS Editor in Sql Server 2000--and want to at least upgrade to the Sql Server 2000 clients on our development desktops.

I am just wondering, will everything in SQL Server 2000 clients be backwards compatible when making accesses to Sql Server 7.0 Servers? This will help us figure out whether our upgrade is safe or not. Thanks guys!

If you ran into any problems doing the above described upgrade please let us know, your input is very very much appreciated!!

-- Sincerely, David

Li-fan Chen
Friday, February 14, 2003

Also, when I test installed the Sql Server 2000 client it "appears" that to live next to the Sql Server 7.0 client. And I seem to be able to start both of them. Do you believe the Sql Server 7.0 may be inadvertantly changed in anyway? Is it still operational? Can I still use both of them and expect them to believe just fine?

Li-fan Chen

No problems here.
We have a mix of 7 and 2000 servers, but use the 2000 client utilities because they are just that much better.

ZiggaDigga

Thanks for your answer! :D, it's a real confidence builder. Today, I have done my coding with the help of the VB Package 'save as' feature of SQL Server's 2000 DTS Designer. No problems at all. Very cool tool. It saves a lot of time :-)

If I could get Excel and Word to code for me my geek life would be complete :D

-- David

Li-fan Chen

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home