Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Sunset for Sun

http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20030213.html

Cringely's most recent column makes some interesting predictions about the next ten years for Sun. Although I'll admit that Cringely usually goes too far with his predictions, I agree with him that I can't see how Sun will actually make any money in the forseeable future.

I'm interested in your comments regarding the future for Sun, as well as your take on Sun's new N1 strategey, which I know absolutely _nothing_ about (I can't bring myself to wade through a bunch of marketing literature at the moment just to get a vague idea of what they might be doing).

Benji Smith
Friday, February 14, 2003

I'd say the sun is setting on a certain monopolist in Redmond                

Truth
Saturday, February 15, 2003

I've always been underwhelmed by Sun. They are the computer equivalent of Lucent. Lucent (actually Bell Labs) invented ATM and Frame Relay and then had to buy Ascend for $18B to get products to sell. Sun should have owned the hardware and the OS market by now, but the truth is that they grew fat and slow long before they grew large or powerful. Thus, by the time the dot-com boom happened, they were seen as appliances rather than as enablers.

Intel now make processors that are twice as powerful, MS makes an OS that is many times more popular, and Linux et al are making software that is almost as good and *free*. They have been caught sleeping and will not survive. If their nap was only a few years long, a white knight may have saved them. Unfortunately, the nap lasted throughout the 90s and I don't know who would want to buy them now because they have no intellectual property left. RIP.

Tom Fairlie
Tuesday, February 18, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home