Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

How to ask for a raise?

I was promoted to a new role with more responsibility a while ago. After a few months in my new role, I have not yet been given paper confirmation of my new role or a raise. I asked for a performance review, firstly because I think I'm doing a good job and I'd like to know whether my boss agrees, and secondly because I feel this is a natural opportunity to discuss remuneration.

I had my review today and my boss is happy with my performance. Unfortunately he treated today as an opportunity to "touch base" and the issue of remuneration didn't come up.

Now I'm feeling stupid and angry with myself because I didn't have the balls to bring it up, but I have no idea how to do it. We have formal performance reviews every 6 months and a salary review annually, but my next salary review is only in 3 months time and I'd like to see action before then.

Help?

Astarte
Friday, February 14, 2003

Try reading Pinkley and Northcraft's "Get Paid What You're Worth".

Can't guarantee you a raise, but at least you'll know how to ask.

Regards

Fernanda

Fernanda Stickpot

There is some quite practical advice at

http://www.soyouwanna.com/site/syws/raise/raise.html

as well. I'm kinda hoping for some life stories as well...

Astarte

In better times "carelessly" looking at job websites while the boss is looking worked well.

I can second the reccommendation for "Get Paid What You're Worth." I read it four months ago (when I got hired into my current position), and I was able to negotiate an additional 16% beyond what was originally offered to me.

Of course, I read the book in the context of getting hired at a company where I hadn't yet worked. I imagine that it's somewhat different to ask for a raise at a place where you already work.

Anyhow, good luck. You probably deserve to earn more than whar you're currently making. We all do.

Benji Smith

Send in a status report every Friday whether your boss asks for one or not.  Use and email rule to file them in a special folder for future reference.  When the time for a raise comes in - or performance review, you have a trail of work that you can both use to measure your output.  Another option or addition is to use some sort of scheduling software which tracks your time and logs how long you've spent on each task.  That also maintains your permanent work log - but status reports should be in addition to that.

Nat Ersoz

FAX your resume to your existing boss.  When he asks you why you sent it to him say "Oopse!  Must of entered the wrong phone number."

Fred Flintstone

Promotions should be thought of as obtaining a new job (albeit same employer). You wouldn't start a job at a new company without the proper paperwork being filed would you?

All of the "paperwork" should be taken care of before you say yes to a promotion.  It's very easy (and they, the company, know it) to get caught up in the excitement receiving extra praise and being offered a "promotion", the "small" details often get overlooked or totally forgotten.

apw

Astarte: Why didn't you raise the issue during your performance review?

Either way, I'd go to your boss right now and discuss it with him.  Be non-threatening but honest:  Explain that you've been given these new responsibilities, and that you think it's appropriate to get written confirmation and some sort of raise.

Then, the ball's in his court.  I don't see how any reasonable person would have a problem with this sort of request, as long as it's phrased nicely.

Brent P. Newhall

As an example of what can happen-
At my first coding job out of the military I was hired as an "assistant Access programmer". The day I started the lead quit and I instantly had all the responsibilities of a "lead VB developer"

Both the client and my contracting agency agreed that's what I was doing, that I was doing good work, and that I should be compensated appropriately.

It took twelve months of empty promises before I finally quit.

Philo

Philip Janus

Perhaps get another job offer in writing so your know what you may be worth on the open market. 

Bella

Perhaps you should just ask your boss how best to ask for a raise ;-)  I think the answer to this question really depends on the relationship you have with your boss.

GiorgioG

Ask them if they'd like their data back            

Access user
Saturday, February 15, 2003

What to do probably depends a lot upon how big the company is.  I'd initially focus less on the raise, and more on why you aren't formally promoted.

If you've got a dept. admin I'd quietly talk to her to find out if your job code or title has been changed (or if the paperwork has been started), and what are the cultural norms. The norm I've seen at most companies is that within a week or two your boss gives you a piece of paper formally congratulating you, which states your new title and salary.

However, at HP it appears the norm is to wait until the next normal round of raises. They also assume you know that :) I've also seen the paperwork for a promotion to a tech lead or architect delayed by a dept head. due to politics (wants to announce at a certain meeting etc.).

I guess what I'm saying is that before you potentially rock the boat, spend some time finding out what happened with other people when they got promoted etc. If nothing else it gives you the option to ask why you are being treated differently, rather than just arguing about what are you worth.

Eric Moore
Saturday, February 15, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home