Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Job Openings

Hi,

I've noticed several posts in the last few days concering unemployment and people looking for jobs in the software industry. My company Alphatech (www.alphatech.com), located in Boston, MA has quite a few job reqs open. Check out the website for company background and employment info, but basically we do government/defense work.

I am not an HR drone, I am a software engineer at this company. I do receive a finder's fee, but if you send your resume to me directly I can put it in front of the right people instead being lost with the masses in HR.

Pedro
Thursday, February 13, 2003

More jobs:

see http://www.myrio.com/company/employment/srchres.cfm

Sorry, no relocation expenses.  FWIW.

Nat Ersoz

Dang,

I wanna work at alphatech - cool work there...

Nat Ersoz

Just checked out Alphatech's website.

Alphatech sounds very heavy in Operations Research. Good Stuff.

Project and position descriptions I saw at Alphatech sound very much like the agency I worked for when I was still in the Army as a 'Green Suit' Operations Research / Systems Analyst.

OK you guys who've been bitching and complaining about 'oh, work is so boring, same old stupid business problems, there's nothing left to develop in computer science', etc. ad nauseam -- here's your chance to end all that.

I've never heard of alphatech before this, but just from looking at the info on their site and from what I remember my agency working on some years back that sounds similar to alphatech's projects, you'd be in for a very nice intellectual treat.

Assuming they're working on government and/or military OR problems, there are loads of fascinating questions to be answered, and the software systems built to answer them are equally interesting.  I think a lot of you folks who sound bored with the business-problem world would find the change very exciting.

Good luck to all concerned.

anonQAguy

>>> More jobs:

see http://www.myrio.com/company/employment/srchres.cfm
<<<

Suffering from the "JOS effect"?  (Analogous to the /. effect)

z

>>> My company Alphatech (www.alphatech.com), located in Boston, MA <<<

How is the overall SWE job market in Boston?  I have been lately thinking that it might be the place to move to even though the high tech industry there is rather old.

mackinac

http://www.myrio.com/company/employment/list.cfm

Bad link before - or just navigate down from the top  level www.myrio.com

Nat Ersoz

JoelL

Can you open a new forum for people to network
1)Gives an oppurtnity for people to meet and discuss career oppurtunities
2)More important: Avods cluttering this forum

Student

Boston is a great place to work, but usually folks can't afford down town living. It's not unusual to drive hours to work :(, that's why some many people prefer to open companies in smaller towns back in the dot com days. You could live downtown and still get your networking down in the business district and be close to the airport.

Li-fan Chen

I tired e-mailing Pedro, but the message bounces back..anybody tried e-mailing him?

Sumit

Sorry, my email was misspelled. It shoud be pestrada@alphatech.com

FYI, since we do a mostly government/defense work, a US citizenship is required for most of the positions.

Pedro
Friday, February 14, 2003

>>> FYI, since we do a mostly government/defense work, a US citizenship is required for most of the positions.  <<<

That seems to be where the money is these days.

There are ads on the radio from companies trying to hire engineers and I recenly got a post card from a company holding a "career invitational" to get people to come in for interviews.  They all require US citizenship and eligibility for security clearance.

mackinac

>>> Bad link before - or just navigate down from the top  level www.myrio.com <<<

OK, that link works.

I don't qualify for the SE position anyway, since it requires a CS degree.  I am one of many who got a science degree, then got into software development.  Maybe I need to get an MSCS just to remain employable.  It is one way to discourage older workers without being explicit about it.

But why "LOCAL CANDIDATES ONLY"?  Why does the company care where they come from?

mackinac

Be careful, Pedro, you put your actual e-mail address in the text of your message. Risky risky risky.

I did that once and started getting targeted tech-industry spam within a few days. Of course, I don't think Joel sells the addresses. I'm sure that spiders crawl this board every day or so and collect whatever email addresses they can. Luckily, I use weird temporary e-mail addresses (check it out by clicking on my name below), so I can filter against these things pretty easily.

Benji Smith

Wow. Off topic, but ---

I just noticed that Joel has rewritten the scripts for this message board so that email addresses are no longer encoded in the links at the end of our posts. That's very cool.

Thanks, Joel.

Benji Smith

The CS degree is optional.  A BS ins something is a must though (sorry, but it is a tight market out there).

Our smartest guy's degree is in Physics, mine is EE.  I wouldn't worry about CS.

As for the local candidate - that just means we aren't paying relocation expenses.

Nat Ersoz

I get so much spam on my company email I doubt I would notice much more. :)

Pedro

>>> The CS degree is optional.  A BS ins something is a must though (sorry, but it is a tight market out there). <<<

The listing says:

BS Computer Science/MS Preferred

So apparently that should be read as:
    BS (Computer Science/MS Preferred)
not
    BS Computer Science/ (MS Preferred)

>>> Our smartest guy's degree is in Physics, mine is EE.  I wouldn't worry about CS. <<<

OK.  Good to know that my MS-Physics might be appreciated somewhere.

>>> As for the local candidate - that just means we aren't paying relocation expenses.  <<<

One just has to learn the code words.  I hope your HR dept understands that and doesn't reject resumes with mailing addresses on the east coast.

mackinac

BS degree in computer science for temporary HTML/Javascript developers.

I did once know of a university that used HTML for its "programming" courses. They claimed the students "got it" so much easier.

Nice to know that there is one company at least that will employ their graduates!

Stephen Jones
Saturday, February 15, 2003

Experts, consultants, advisers invited, immediate payment.

Online service consultant.
Home or part time job, immediate payment, if you can provide rational advice in one or more fields you are qualified.
Registration, more details and faq at http://www.webhelpboard.com/index.php
Person that have free online time and need additional earnings will be best suitable candidate.

Be able to provide rational advice in one or more fields.

Alex Kelly
Saturday, May 08, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home