Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Star Trek?

On a light note... 

When I was in school in the early nineties, practically all of us CS nerds loved Star Trek and especially Mr. Spock from the original series.  Is this still the case?  If not, is there a new favorite techie icon?

spock
Thursday, February 13, 2003

Dilbert!

Scott Adam is a prophet....

:-)

KenB

In the TV arena, both Babylon 5 and Buffy the Vampire Slayer seem to have pretty strong geek followings.

Sam Gray

Douglas Adams baby!

fool for python

The Matrix.

Thomas Eyde

Dilbert? Give us a break.

Scott Adams is rehashing material that was covered with greater insight by C. Northcote Parkinson fifty years ago.

Try reading "Parkinson's Law" or "Mrs. Parkinson's Law".

Anonymous Coward

I don’t think rehashing good old material in a modern context is necessarily a bad thing.

More cowardly than you ...

Star Trek (TOS) was a geek mainstay through the mid 1990s, even among some younger (under 30) developers I knew at the time. Talking about "agonizers" and "agony booths" around review time was a typical pastime...

TOS Trek seemed to contain humorous analogies for most things in a programmer's life. If you worked with someone who was particularly lifeless and lacking in personality, you could call them "Captain Pike"... etc.

TOS has pretty much been forgotten by everyone, it seems.

Well, time to assasinate the guy above me and move up in "rrrrrrank". :-)

Spock's Beard

AD&D!  William Gibson! Star Trek TNG!

too ashamed

what about Enterprise! That's pretty cool.

McCoy
Friday, February 14, 2003

1.  Lord of the Rings

2.  The Matrix (a few years ago anyway - we'll see when the sequels come out if it can hold it's power)

3.  Most Importantly, Star Wars Episodes I, II, III - Primarily because we're all unified in the fact that they suck.

Jeff

Jeffrey MacDonald

According to my 8 year old, Farscape.  Its slightly disturbing that I enjoy it from its similarity to Samuel Delany and she enjoys it for reasons I can't fathom.  Weirdness probably.

Simon Lucy

I’m not sure there is any singular techie sci-fi icon for the new generation.

And if we are going to talking about sci-fi, the new generation,  and stuff like Farscape, Cowboy Bebop is worth mentioning.  A teenage neighbor had talked about it.  I flipped it on one evening and found that I really enjoyed it (and I don’t even like anime).

Nick B.

I have been watching the Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex episodes lately. Good stuff if you like anime. Also picked up Jin-Roh, a good anime comment on society wrapped in a very cool classic red riding hood tale, it's anime also.

And this weekend I will order Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: Criterion Collection.

Ian Stallings

"Star Trek (TOS) was a geek mainstay through the mid 1990s, even among some younger (under 30) developers I knew at the time. Talking about "agonizers" and "agony booths" around review time was a typical pastime... "

I used to have this roommate that had the star-trek bridge alert as his alarm clock, very annoying

Daniel Shchyokin

Who has time for any of that tech crap on TV?

I'd say more, but I've got to go watch Blind Date, Elimidate, Shipmates, Joe Millionaire, The Batchlorette, Survivor, and Change of Heart.

XYZZY
Monday, February 17, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home