Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Relocation to India

Looking to relocate back to India, 2.5 years of experience in software dev.,
anybody knew the best way to apply to jobs in India, while in North America?Anybody with contacts in Bangalore let me know.

programmer
Wednesday, February 12, 2003

Bring your friends from the states and start stealing contracts from the States! :-D

Li-fan Chen

times of india

Daniel Shchyokin

wipro

Daniel Shchyokin

email:-)

Prakash S

Heck, India is so inexpensive if you have US$ (or euros or some other rich-country currency) in your pocket that it might be worth just going there for a month or two, meeting people in person, and seeing what you can drum up. I was just there for a few weeks, and would I think you could easily get by in most places on a total of Rs 1000 / US$20 a day or so. (Maybe $10 for a fairly nice hotel room, $5 for restaurants, $5 for transportation and incidentals like laundry.) I wasn't in Bangalore, but I'd think it would be the same order of magnitude. Leave your stuff at home and arrange relocation after you've convinced somebody how invaluable you are...

Note that although the long-term prospects for tech jobs in India are likely quite good, at the moment the country seems to be facing some of the same work shortages as in the U.S. There was an article I read while there that said that Infosys, one of the big Indian tech shops, wasn't laying people off but was "benching" them -- i.e. they basically had no work to do. You'll still be competing with all the IIT graduates and whatnot, too, though I suspect that your business experience in the U.S. (or wherever you are working now) would work to your advantage.

If you do land a job there, I hope you'll come back to JOS and tell us how it compares with your past 2 1/2 years in terms of work environment, company culture, skill levels of your co-workers, work ethic, compensation, etc...

John C.

I would have gone sooner, but the plane tickets are not cheap.....I'll probably go in April if I don't find any interviews here...although I keep checking some sites, they seem to be asking for people.
Which city were you in by the way?

programmer

A colleague was posted to India for a few months on a project and he says it's the pits. Contrary to all the hype we hear, he says the culture and work output were atrocious, cities crowded and generally very much not recommended.

echidna

Really bad idea.
1) Cultural incompatibility
2) Very low life quality
3) Overpopulated country
4) If you're american, Indian companies will not need you as a programmer but as sales person. Do you have such skills?

Someone here said that Bangalore and New Delhi are similar to US cities: this is simply not true.
At least spend sometime watching TV news about India, you'll see it yourself.

Slava
Thursday, February 13, 2003

As the original post said 'back to india' one would surmise that he/she was familiar with it.

Simon Lucy

<< Really bad idea.
<< 1) Cultural incompatibility

False

<< 2) Very low life quality

Utterly False

<< 3) Overpopulated country

True

<< 4) If you're american, Indian companies will not need you as a programmer but as sales person. Do you have such skills?

True

<< Someone here said that Bangalore and New Delhi are << similar to US cities: this is simply not true.

Bangalore its true. don't know bout New Delhi

<< At least spend sometime watching TV news about India, you'll see it yourself.

Take it with a pich of salt (Applies to news all over the world)

R K

Going to any country as a toursit is a very different thing than going to a country to live.

Slava, Except no 3 - everything you say is total BS

Prakash S

Hmmm, and 1 billion of Indians isn't overpopulation?
And low life level of average (average, not the one who works for Wipro) Indian is BS?

Slava

Echidna and slava, note that programmer wrote that he wants to go "back" to India... I thus assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that he is either of Indian origin or had lived there previously, so has some sense what the quality of life is like etc. Even if not, going there for a month or two is probably a better way of gauging its appeal than simply accepting a job sight unseen. Given the vast regional differences that exist in a country like India, I'm not sure I'd even want to judge what life in Bangalore would be like based in experience in, say, Delhi or Chennai.

Programmer, I was traveling on holiday rather than business. Stayed in Mumbai (but with friends, so I can't speak for hotel costs there -- might well be higher), Goa, Jaipur, and some smaller spots around Rajasthan. If you stay in high-end, western-style hotels you'll pay the inordinately high western rates; I had very good luck with the likes of mid-range hotels suggested by Lonely Planet.

Airfare *is* expensive, unfortunately. There might be ways to piece together a cheap itinerary on a variety of carriers, use charter flights, or have someone in India buy your tickets in rupees (I've heard ancedotally that tickets in India can be much less expensive than those bought overseas because of presumed differences in purchasing power).

John C.

Oh yeah, links to a couple of articles I happened to read today on IT in India, for anyone who is interested.

http://www.fastcompany.com/online/67/newface.html
(be prepared for annoying reportage filled with breathless excitement)

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/02/13/business/worldbusiness/13RUPE.html
(talks about potential outsourcing backlash brewing in the U.S.)

John C.

>>Echidna and slava, note that programmer wrote that he wants to go "back" to India... <<

Mea culpa:(
Thanks for pointing this out

Slava

Hi All,
Yeah I am from India, in Canada for the last 6 years, got my cs degree. and worked for sometime, just a thought on going back, nothing particularly serious, and as am a Canadian citizen,can always come back.
There is so much hype about India right now,I am trying to cut through the crap, and get a view from the people in the trenches out there :)
I heard one american guy was earning 40,000$ US, yes 40,000$ US anually in India, which is 2 million rupees a year, and you can live like a king.......A lot of these stories are there..is it too good to be true?

programmer

I know a few ppl from IIM's who get that. these salaries do exisit.

It depends on the company you join, and what kind of experience you bring.

from what you have said, I guess you are looking at positions like a senior developer or something to that effect.

If this is the case you should make somewhere between 50,000 - 75,000 Indian rupees per month if you are in Bangalore.

Prakash S

I am surprised that no one mentioned Hyderabad.

It is actually a very good city to live in and there is enough happening on IT front. [Oracle,Wipro,Infosys,Microsoft all have offices in Hyd] and if you are non veg crazy, city is just heaven for you!

JD

JD

I'm going to India tomorrow for up to 6 weeks to work on installation and configuration of a project I've been working on.

I'll post my observations when I return.

Walter Rumsby
Friday, February 14, 2003

Realy looking forward to your report Walter.

Just me (Sir to you)
Monday, February 17, 2003

Judging by all past conversations, Salva and some of the other folks have got it all wrong upstairs. India is indeed a great place to live. Quality of life is what you think it should be. If living a dogs life in  N America and slogging your a.. off for ever to pay bills is quality, then good luck to you. My wife and I are both professionals in decent jobs with"decent salaries" by Canadian and US standards but intend to head back home just becos we are tired of the way we live out here. N Americans have not had exposure to that life and it is not easy to adapt to a change of that magnitude. However, it offers every single thing that you can get here and much more. We as Indians have a well established support system out there where as we have nothing here. This problem will apply to N Americans when they go there. It is a question of adjustment and learing to live with what you have. I can bet you an American will save more money in USD working in INdia than working here.
Reg salaries today, sky is the limit. We are relocating with a Rs.3 Million plus package. This goes to prove , if you are good you get paid. If not, just sit down in N America and slog to pay your bills !!!!!

Kawneer
Thursday, January 22, 2004

To each his own. For some people from India, there is nothing like home. Even people from India, tend to not go back there, once they migrate to foreign countries, for obvious reasons. If materialism keeps you satisfied, then indians need not go back there. For North Americans, it would not be so wise to go there. The quality of life is, what it is. India is a third-world country after all. You cannot expect them to provide a quality of life akin to USA or Canada. If you have been to Mexico, then you can identify it with life in India. If a North American can be fascinated by the diversity, india has to offer, he/she would just fall in love with the country. Just make concessions for the poor air quality, for the heat, and multitude of other things you would come across in a third world country. But for all the Indians looking beyond the materialistic luxuries($$$), Welcome back home, for the others, stay where you are happy.

sam
Thursday, March 11, 2004

loved reading this stuff!!

I am an Indian who is working on his BS in CS in US. I think it depends on the attitude of a person. I have seen some Indians who prefer to live abroad than India and on the other hand have seen a few Foreigners who love to visit and stay in India.

I personally don't like living in US and would relocate to India asap. The obvious reasons are the cultural differences. People say that Indian cities are not comparable to US cities, which is true, but according to me New Delhi is a much better place than New York or Chicago. Not because it has clean streets, tall buildings.....but due to the fact that I like the environment. You don't always need a car even to eat Ice Cream. The isn't that stressful. Wasting a few hours to play cricket or just roam around won't make any difference (unlike US). I miss most of the things from food...to cars.

If an American goes there to settle, he won't probably like it. He will miss baseball games, his friends, American Pies...etc.

I read this article about an American who relocated to  Gurgaon, India (Its a nice city). It is very interesting to read the article.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/623979.cms

Gaurav
Monday, April 19, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home