Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Red Highlighting of Required Fields

I seem to remember a topic on here a while ago about how the red highlighting is achieved if you omit the required fields when making a post. Does anyone have a link to it please?

John Topley
Wednesday, February 12, 2003

A search on "validation" or its variants might turn something up.

Incidentally, you do know that just turning text red doesn't work for people with color-blindness, right?  Good, thought so.  (=

Sam Gray

Thanks but I find the search on this board to be useless. Hopefully someone else will have a link to it.

Also, it doesn't turn the text red, it provides a red border around the required fields and adds descriptive text about what needs to be completed.

John Topley

At a guess its CSS

Simon Lucy

I think he meant you to use Google or similar. For example:

http://www.evolt.org/article/Form_Validation_an_Object_Oriented_Approach/18/26852/?format=print

David Clayworth

Harg! Lazy! Haven't you heard of "View Source"? Go to the back of the class!

.errorbox 
    {
        font-family:lucida console,lucida sans typewriter,monospace; 
        font-size: 10pt;
        font-weight: bold;
        color: #000000;
        border-bottom:2px solid red;
        border-top:2px solid red;
        border-left:2px solid red;
        border-right:2px solid red;
        width: 400px;
    }

Ed the Millwright

Yes, I saw that. I'm more interested in knowing how it dynamically changes the CSS class used for form elements depending upon which required fields aren't completed.

This board seriously needs a proper way of searching its archives IMHO.

John Topley

Try using google's advanced search. You can search the archives of this board by putting "discuss.fogcreek.com" into the DOMAIN field of the search.

Having google around means that few websites have to implement their own search functionality (unless they need something specialized).

Having said that much, I just tried to find the info you're looking for, and I can't find anything in the archives of this board that deals with the red input fields for required information. Of course, I only spent 2 or 3 minutes...

Benji Smith

Hm... that's server side, done with some magic called "programming". You know, ask for the parameter, change the output accordingly, etc.

Leonardo Herrera

Here is a thread that discusses the red border:

http://discuss.fogcreek.com/joelonsoftware/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=18797&ixReplies=9

Dave B.

Thanks.

John Topley
Thursday, February 13, 2003

<quote>
This board seriously needs a proper way of searching its archives IMHO.
</quote>

1. This board has NO archives (at least you can't browse them; they are "there", "somewhere")
2. I'll say something new now: The search feature just SUCKS!

Some people have tried to bring this issue a few times on this forum but nobody hears :((( I mean, hasn't Joel written a book about usability? Or was it some other Joel Spolsky???

Enjoy
Thursday, February 13, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home