Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Add/Remove Programs Stupidity

Has anybody noted the "Used:" thingy in the "Add/Remove Programs" control panel applet? It have a link next to it. If you click on it, displays the following legend:

"Frequency of Use.

Windows measures the number of times the program has been run in the past 30 days and labels it accordingly.

Frequency is divided into three areas:
* Rarely - the program is rarely or never run.
* Occasionally - the program is run sometimes.
* Frequently - the program is run often."

Anybody else finds this thing amusing?

Leonardo Herrera
Tuesday, February 11, 2003

Helps in clearing out little or unused programs.

pb

I remember an old joke.

A limo was taking a great politician and his assistant to a conference in a foreign city. The limo stopped somewhere, so the politician asked the driver, "Where are we?"

"We are in the limousine, sir."

The politician turned to his assistant and said, "This is a perfect speech. It is true and easy to understand, and reveals no useful information at all. "

S.C.

The "Add/Remove programs" is an app.
An applet is a java program that runs in a browser. 

Bella

But doesn't microsoft call them "Control Panel Applets"?

Chris

I think its kind of cool that the designers decided to use words that actually meant something rather than just displaying a number.

But I'm not sure if the information is that relevant - a program you use only occasionally might be something you really need.

Daniel

There are actually two stupidities. One is that the information itself is completely wrong and appears to bear no correlation to how often you use the application, the other is that the help writer was pathologically bad and didn't actually know anything other than what you can figure out by looking at the screen. These kinds of help writers I can do without.

Joel Spolsky

>>The "Add/Remove programs" is an app.
An applet is a java program that runs in a browser.

But it does run in a browser, on at least some Windows versions Add/Remove Programs is implemented as a .HTA application in HTML.

Tony E
Wednesday, February 12, 2003

In this context I cannot let the Limo joke without
reply.

Here is the modern version.

A man is enjoying a lesuirely walk through a meadow when he sees a hot air balloon approaching. 

The Balloon gets lower and lower until the young chap sees
an older man leaning out of a basket hanging below the balloon.

"EXCUSE ME!" calls the balloonist, "Can you tell me where I am ?"

The fellow stops and thinks before yelling back "You are in a hot air balloon, hovering above a field!".

The Ballonist frowns.  "Young man, I can see you work in IT!".

The man on the ground ponders "what makes you say that ?"

"Well, everything you say is absolutely accurate, and yet no use to anyone".

"Ahh" replies our earthbound hero quick as a flash.  "You are a Business Manager!".

It's the balloonists turn to ponder.  "Why do you say I am a business manager ?".

"Well, you are floating around, unsure of where you are, probably unsure of where you are going,  and now it's my fault!".

braid_ged

Control Panel applets were around when Java was a mere twinkle in Gosling's eye. Applet just means lightweight application, or perhaps more specifically it means an application that executes within the context of something else.

John Topley

"Well, you are floating around, unsure of where you are, probably unsure of where you are going,  and now it's my fault!".

<grin> Can't we find some way of working in "over inflated" and "full of hot air" as well?

Quoteth:

<grin> Can't we find some way of working in "over inflated" and "full of hot air" as well?

End Quoteth

Perhaps something relating to an Economist :D

Brian Hall

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home