Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

What database does Citydesk use?

What database does citydesk use for its backend.

interested
Tuesday, February 11, 2003

Jet, aka Access:  http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000296.html

Sam Gray

Sql Server and MySQL.
BTW. Is there anyone running this on MSDE? I am always surprised to hear Joel going on about MySQL in the recent "commoditize your compliments (CyC)" treads. Yet he never mentions MSDE (the free version of SQL Server), which to me seems such an obvious CyC choice for a product that already runs on SQL Server.

Just me (Sir to you)

Big ooops!

Sorry, I misread the post. You were asking for Citydesk while my answer was for FogBUGZ.

http://www.fogcreek.com/FogBUGZ/

Now there should be a "delete post" feature on this board for dumbasses like myself so ...
Never mind.

Just me (Sir to you)

I also thought it was Access. However, I just tried renaming the Citydesk ".CTY" (appparently the database for the web site) file to .MDB and Access '97 couldn't even recognize it.

MY guess is - Access MDB with some glop added as a file header to make it inaccessible to the unwashed masses as a database file.

Disgruntled AND Bored Bystander

Access 2000

Michael H. Pryor

Wow, Disgruntled, jumping to conclusions much? Sheesh.

Troy King

Opens easily in Access 2000.  I guess my question would be, 'Why no password or other security precautions?'.

Subway Eat Fresh

Subway -- it's a desktop publishing system. What kind of security do you want on it? In fact, what kind of security do you have on any of your desktop apps? You can drop a regular html file into a text editor. Why should CityDesk add security that doesn't have any actual benefits?

Troy King

Plus, without passwords or security, experienced Access folks can write new stuff to do interesting things with (or to) their citydesk websites.

So it's a win all around.

Chris Tavares

Not that it makes or breaks the product, but I was thinking along the lines of protecting the database design.  OTOH easy access to the database design might encourage other products to be easily adapted.

Subway Eat Fresh

What, citydesk's Data Access ... Hidden?

Obfuscated?

http://www.fogcreek.com/CityDesk/fog0000000068.html

I think not!

Matt H.

Dang.  I just did a search for "citydesk for geeks", and read the tag line ("under the citydesk hood.") - not really what your looking for.

Still, poke around the site and check out the DB in Access.  Should tell you all you need to know ...

Matt H.

yeah, that's pretty cool though.

you could create your own 'extensions' to Citydesk. Not sure how, but I am gonna think of something :)

Guyon
Wednesday, February 12, 2003

I always thought it would be cool to create an extension that told you what your current page count is, maybe it could be some sort of gauge of page count against page limit, if there were a way of working out which version of CityDesk were installed. Unfortunately I don't have time at the moment to write it myself. It really should be in the product itself, perhaps within the about box.

John Topley
Wednesday, February 12, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home