Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Is Joel Dead?

No posting for 10 days? I'm starting to wonder . . .

A.
Monday, January 21, 2002

Maybe he's seeing how long he will have to wait before the rumours of his death start to appear on the 'net.

Or maybe he just doesn't have anything to say at the moment.

I suspect the latter.

David
Monday, January 21, 2002

I got the impression he was getting over the unique pressures of too many people listening. :-)

Or maybe he was cornered by Dave Winer without the aid of his Wiener Boys.

With the awards, it could very well be that things are spraling, and he has to do some things.  Hopefully, he is finding resources and not limitations in complexity.

This is all entertaining speculation on my part.  I have no idea.

Richard Malin
Monday, January 21, 2002

Let's hope Joel is in the "zone."

TK
Monday, January 21, 2002

It's not bad at all; I've gotten into the Techinterview questions.

Joel on Software is a bit too seductive because it doesn't talk about purely technical issues.  Joel does much of the thinking for the reader, while the Techinterview questions have the reader actually think in her own universe.

Techniker
Monday, January 21, 2002

From the FAQ:

How Often Do New Things Appear Here?

"Whether or not I put things up will depend largely on whether, on a particular day, I have anything to put up," to paraphrase McSweeneys.

JJ
Monday, January 21, 2002

Unlike, the rest of us; Joel has/is very productive and has no time to write up new stuff :-)

Prakash S
Monday, January 21, 2002

Now, now, children. Play amongst yourself.

Monday, January 21, 2002

probably.... joel is the person who is opening up the envelope-checks... ;)
http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:vA0YbJlv6PMC:www.joelonsoftware.com/+checks&hl=en

ramesh kr
Monday, January 21, 2002

It's hard being at a small company :) Over the last couple of weeks, I've been (a) testing out our new homegrown ecommerce platform, which goes live tomorrow and saves us 10% on every sale we make (b) interviewing, hiring, persuading and cajoling to get a director of business development and a director of sales and marketing lined up (c) renovating the goddamn apartment above the Fog Creek office, DON'T ASK, (d) filling out 1099 MISC forms, with a pen, press hard to make 5 copies, and incidentally in my spare time (e) massively scrubbing, cleaning, xhtmlifying, and refactoring the FogBUGZ code, all of it, so it will be in good enough shape to hang new features off of. I still haven't found time to fix the hole in the drywall downstairs, or move our mail server onto a new Dell/RedHat box that arrived some time in the summer and still has yet to be turned on...

Joel Spolsky
Tuesday, January 22, 2002

Hm...

1) I HAVE to ask... what apartment???
2) What means MISC? What is a MISC form?

Regards,

Leonardo Herrera

A "1099-MISC" is a U.S. Federal tax form "used by a person or business to report [to the U.S. Internal Revenue Service] payments made to another person or business who is not an employee.''

See the IRS web page for more: http://www.irs.gov/plain/tax_edu/faq/faq4-3.html

-

And I was going to say that maybe he was on vacation...

As Charlie Brown would say: "Good Grief!"
;-)

Tarrakis

Q: What's the most appropriate reaction to being named "Blogger of the Year"?

A: Stop posting.

Charles Miller

that'll teach 'em :)

Joel Spolsky

While Joel is busy doing other things, does anyone have suggestions where to find other interesting sites?

Karl
Wednesday, January 23, 2002

what constitutes interesting?

YekSoon

try

http://www.construx.com/stevemcc/

for starters
:^)

JP

I second that. I especially like Steve McConnell's "Best Practices" columns from IEEE Software. They are archived here:

http://www.construx.com/stevemcc/ieeesoftware/bp.htm

cop

YekSoon> what constitutes interesting?

Well, I'm a student. I program a lot as a hobby but haven't really been involved in any big projects and I have no experience in how they are run. I know how to program and frankly, I'm almost getting bored with it. What I want to learn is how to design software, and how a software development team works. I guess I'm looking for sites that talks about the process of creating software.

Karl
Thursday, January 24, 2002

Oh, BTW, Thanks JP and cop!

Karl

www.joecartoon.com

warning: contains humor not suitable for some.

no no joe is not joel's brother...huhuhuh

contrapunctus

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home