Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Server Specs

Joel,

I think it would be interesting to hear the full specs on your new Dell server that you are colocating.

Thanks, Wayne

Wayne
Wednesday, February 05, 2003

Dell 2650 - Xeon processor (2.4 GHz I think)
1 GB RAM
RAID-1 (mirroring) (2 x 80 GB drives)
dual power supplies, built in dual NIC

oh, you know, "the usual." :)

Joel Spolsky

To people that are wondering:  There is a big difference between a server live this and a comparably priced workstation.

The cool thing about the dell server I had was that, it was designed to bee tool-less  for the things that needed to happen quick, and sinple to get at for things that were more serious.

This was our Database machine for a data intesive site.  IWe used the 4U quad PIII Xeon server from Dell (6550).  It had multiple power supplies, and they were hot swappable.  The disk driver wer raided and also hot swappable.  The same goes for the Fan.  You didn't even need a screwdriver to get them into the racks (assuming you had the right type of racks, which we didn't at first). You neede a screw driver to get in to the portion of the case where the Motherboard  was located.  NO those are not hot swappable.  It was a very easy case to work on, reliable, redundant, and COLO friendly (except for that rail thing)

We had a couple other "Servers" up there which were really converted workstations.  The biggest difference was that the parts went out more frequenctly.  Memory and Hard drives were the worst.  The machines had decent power supplies, so those were OK.

I gues the point I'm trying to make is that if this is a mission critical server, get real server hardware.  Don't be penny-wise and pound foolish.  You'll get pounded.

Here are the specs on Dell servers:

http://www.dell.com/us/en/bsd/products/series_pedge_rkopt_servers.htm

Adam Young

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home