Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

How fast is your internet, and how much?

Looking at internet prices in Joel’s article made me gasp! A T1 line cost how much?

I pay $40 can ($26 US) per month for my internet. There are NO upload, or download limits for that price! (if you abuse it, they will contact you!).

I regularly get down load speeds of 600kB/sec (that is reported speed in the browser during downloads).

That is a good 4 or 5 mbit download. On real nice sites, I have seen 750 KB/sec. Other of my friends in town get 850 KB/sec downloads.

Not bad for $26 per month..eh. I have always said that Canada has the best internet for the cheapest price..

During the mid day, download speeds from Microsoft site are at 500KB/sec (again, this is the download speed shown in the browser).

50 meg downloads are mesaured in sub-minute times for me!

What do most of your folks get for $26 us per month? Is the above good, or does anyone get more for better price?

Albert D. Kallal
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
Kallal@msn.com

Albert D. Kallal
Tuesday, February 04, 2003

"What do most of your folks get for $26 us per month? Is the above good, or does anyone get more for better price?"

Does anyone get a fast connect in the US for $26? SBC is charging me $50 for 128/768kbit dsl in palo alto CA.

b

For $24.95 (Australian) I get 56K dial up - Unlimited rock solid 3k downloads! WooHoo!

Chris

I think high-speed coverage in most greater areas of mid-size or larger American cities is pretty good. Usually the prices start at crippled (capped) cable for USD$30 and upwards. It's cheap enough that many people have a hard time justifying ISDN and T1 lines, but it's not reliable enough for most mid-size companies to ditch T1s and up.

The nice thing about the States is that there are clusters of cities most anywhere and unless you are stuck in the farm belt you shouldn't have to worry about having to resort to digital satellite internet down-links and microwave. If you are far enough in Canada things just goes down-hill real fast in terms of coverage.

I am paying CAD$34 for 1200Kbps capped DSL at istop.com, a mom and pop DSL shop servicing Toronto, Ottawa, and friends. The only catch is that I had to buy my modem to get the cheaper rates. I get enough of outages that I can't figure out who to blame (again, multiple vendors up and down the flow). These outages range from half a day to just a few seconds.

If you depend on 10,000+ hits per hour at peak business hours like Joel's probably had to deal with--DSL is not what you need. You can't afford to have thousands of mailing list recipients click on a out of service article (you can step the deployment of the mailing, but that's besides the point). Because their interest will dwindle over time and only a fraction would be interested in trying again. The readership mostly seem to have a busy life and don't have time to click again. So I don't think little outtages will do. Let's say one day Joel or one of his techies writes a not so interesting article, no big lost--but what if another article brings in enough business to pay for years of hard core cohosting??!! Would you want to miss that? You just need one single customer--like IBM or SAP--to show an interest in fog creek software--and most of us would want to miss that click.

-- David

Li-fan Chen

For US$24/month, I get a 56k line that has never connected at greater than 28k. But I am out in the country in a rural area. However, the local cable company offers high speed access for $45/month and most of my neighbors go with that, including one bohemian lady up in the hills who refuses to accept an electrical hookup and relies on a generator to recharge her laptop.

X. J. Scott

You folks who have DSL or cable internet are very lucky. There are MANY nooks and crannies that don't seem to have reasonable high speed access options.

I live in a rural area just outside the limits of a smaller city in Ohio. What I was able to (just barely) qualify for was ISDN. The telco attached some sort of repeater or amplifier to the line to enable it to reach to my house, as the standard configuration didn't work.

So, I pay $65/mo to the phone company for the dual channel (2B+1D) ISDN line, which is unmetered, plus $40/mo for the ISP for a non dedicated, dynamic IP account. I do get a solid 128K up and down, almost instantaneous connection, and very high reliability (very few outages.) The ISDN line is also a phone circuit and doubles as a second voice or fax line, as the adapter allows me to plug in a phone or fax and the adapter drops half the bandwidth while the voice call is going out.

ISDN was the *only* reasonable option I could find in terms of bandwidth, ping time, QOS, and cost. Sprint (telco) keeps sending out frustrating DSL advertisements in the mail but they don't reach to this address. Satellite is a big unknown with spotty quality of service, lengthy pings, and bandwidth throttling issues. Cable internet was not offered by the reprobate local Adelphia franchise (the s**tiest excuse ever for a cable company, IMO), and wireless earth based access was possible but would have started at around $150/mo for a 128K circuit.

Learning the setup concepts so that I knew what to order and how to set things up was initially difficult, since ISDN is fragmented by the fact that neither the telco, the equipment vendor, nor the ISP take any responsibility for making sure that all this crap works properly. Yeah, you network guys will say "it's obvious", I'm a developer and I had to learn it all w/o assistance. The totally blue collar unionized "tain't my job" lineman jerk who didn't want to give me the time of day once he had things hooked up just *barely* hung out while I tried out the new connection.

Bored Bystander
Wednesday, February 05, 2003

San Jose, cable modem, 2+ Mbps download, 256kbps upload. $60 per month.

raindog

NJ, use verizon DSL @ home $ 30 a month split 3 ways,
unlimited wireless connection (T1) @ Rutgers U where I connect otherwise.

Can't imagine life w/o DSL/T1/T3....

Prakash S

I'm in northwest Washington state, in a rural resort community.  I've got cable modem service at 128Kbps, and I pay USD$29/month plus $5 to rent the modem.

At work, we have DSL from QWest for $70/month 1Mbps each way, and we pay $80/month for ISP services from a local provider with five static IP addresses and web hosting.

I've been very happy with both arrangements (I babysit the connection at work too).

Karl Perry

Silicon valley, 2-line (a seperate data line from the voice line) 384/128kb ADSL for $61/month. Very reliable, legacy configuration thats no longer offered by my carrier.

I'm going to switch to a shared line ADSL configuration at the same speed for $39/month the next time they offer a equipment rebate.

Eric Moore

After years of paying hundreds of pounds a month for an ISDN connection and then getting a reasonable deal on that and finally getting ADSL for 27 quid a month, we are moving.

The people who's houses we go to see look a little surprised at my question 'is broadband available here?' 

Simon Lucy

Southern California cable modem...39.00/month.  According to ZDNet's bandwidth meter at http://webservices.zdnet.com/zdnet/bandwidth/ I'm getting somewhere around 2.3 Mb, but I don't know how accurate this is.

Jeffrey MacDonald

In France, you can get for that price a cable or ADSL connection 512kb download / 128 kb upload

Robert Chevallier

10Mbit/s @ roughly $30 USD / month.

Patrik

I have a 1024/256 ADSL line in denmark for around 70 USD. Completely unmetered, pretty stable with a Cisco 677 router.

Martin

Easter NC, USA  $45 (share with neighbor via 802.11b wireless) cable connection 2.01 Mbps (according to roadrunner's test site, which probably isn't that reliable)

apw

There is a large difference between having a T1 and having cable or DSL, but it's not in the possible speed on the line - it's the (supposed) quality of the line and the amount of downtime that is supposed to be tolerated.

T1's are regulated (at least in the US) and are supposed to meet high standards for Quality of Service and availability. Evidently Joel hit a snag on this, and I'd have been complaining to the regulators after a couple of hours.

Also, if you have a T1, you have all of it. Cable users actually share the connection with their neighbors (which is why cable companies don't like people hosting servers). DSL is dependent on the distance to the CO to determine speed, and if the line to the CO has any fibre in it DSL isn't available.

jeff

I'm confused. I don't have my own Internet - I thought I shared it with everyone else! ;-)

Devil's Advocate

Residential DSL (3Mbit/128Kbit) or Cable (4Mbit/128Kbit (max)) 10GB transfer volume, are around 40$/month here (Europe).

Just me (Sir to you)

Saudi Arabia - dial-up connection 56Kbps, normally connecting at 40-45Kbps. $20 per month, plus phone costs of $1 per hour. DSL is not available at my exchange but is exorbitant at around $150 a month, and connection speeds depending on the ISP as low as 128/64 Kbps. No cable anywhere and Satellite connections officially illegal as they by pass the central censor.

Sri Lanka (off there tomorrow for 2 weeks!) - dial-up conection 56kbps, normally connecting at 40-45kbps
$9 a month (150 hours included only) plus phone charges (vary wildly according to time of day but  between $0.60 and $3.00 an hour).

These details should cheer most of you up no end!

Stephen Jones

"Also, if you have a T1, you have all of it. Cable users actually share the connection with their neighbors."

Maybe, but my cable connection sports T3 performance downstream.  This "sharing problem" is a poor marketing gimmick by the DSL folks.

Upstream and running servers is the real catch.

Robert

San Diego, cable, unsure of exact speed, $45/mo.
DSL is also available here, but AOL Time-Warner is easier to deal with than Pacific Bell/SBC Pacific Bell/SBC.

Dave Rothgery

St. Louis:  $40/month for cable modem capped at 256 Kbps.  (Would be $35/month if I bought my own cable modem.)

I had DSL before; it started at $40 for 1.5Mbps, but after a year they upped it to $50.  Anyway the cable modem setup seems more stable, and I haven't experienced the slows-down-when-all-your-neighbors-use-it problem I've always heard about.

Downloads are obviously slower, but fast enough and don't get interrupted.  The only thing really slow is downloading Usenet messages in Outlook Express.  Not a major concern.

Kyralessa

So what are the advantages of a T1? Around here a T1 is $600-$800 including the line + ISP service. Our company has this setup and in 5 years it's been down twice, about 4 hours each time.

I've had both DSL and cable at home and they were not as reliable as the T1's been.

So is there any reason I should save $500 a month and switch to DSL?

Nathan Silva

Jeff, from your post:

"DSL is dependent on the distance to the CO to determine speed, and if the line to the CO has any fibre in it DSL isn't available."

Actually, this is beginning to change, though in a fairly small area, so it's not surprising folks may not know about it.

There's now an DSL/ADSL solution for folks (like me) who have fiber 'in the loop'. It's called IFITL (Integrated Fiber in the Loop).  I've got ADSL at home that seems to be running around 1.5/256 (down/up).

BellSouth, I think it's about 50 USD/month. It's not widely available, however, as I said, I think just in some areas around Atlanta, GA and some areas of FL.

Here's a link I found that gives some info about it. I don't know anything about how authoritative the source is, but fwiw:

http://www.mynetwatchman.com/kb/IFITL/ifitlintro.htm

Cheers,

anonQAguy

St. Petersburg, Russia  USD 29 for 500mb/month, RadioEthernet. Speed 64kb. If I download more than 500mb month, fee is USD80/Gb.

smm
Thursday, February 06, 2003

note to self ... leave london and move to US.

we are paying just just over £1k (a month!) for 2 megabit pipe for one of our departments. Not sure what corporate pays for main pipe into offices

tapiwa
Thursday, February 06, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home